Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 196 07-06-2013 , 11:00 AM
user added image

not 100% happy with the topology in this one. I kinda tried out a few new things like having my eye going in a V kinda shape instead of a O, to get more depth in the eye and more quality on the sides, look closely and you can see what i mean. I tried to make the cheekbone more noticeable, there are some wtf's in the topology over there. I'm happy with the quality of this model though. user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 197 07-06-2013 , 11:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I'll do you a small paint over with some thoughts on my lunch break

Jay

# 198 22-04-2014 , 11:07 PM
well I didnt get a chance to mark any of the mesh up...sorry dude...

Anyway something I did without refs during some down time I had at work for two days, its not great though....Im going zbrush it also do some Mari and then get some time in arnold with it....

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 199 23-04-2014 , 06:16 AM
Technical Director
Looks like Goldfinger!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 200 23-04-2014 , 10:07 AM
only in plumpness otherwise its nothing like Gert Frobe...

# 201 23-04-2014 , 11:49 AM

well I didnt get a chance to mark any of the mesh up...sorry dude...

Anyway something I did without refs during some down time I had at work for two days, its not great though....Im going zbrush it also do some Mari and then get some time in arnold with it....

J

perfect topology in my untrained eyes, one question though, how do you deal with the polygons at the end of the eyes (lateral palpebral commissure, the part where the lower eyelid meets the lower eyelid, furthest from the nose)

I usually have some problems getting good realism at this part especially

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 202 23-04-2014 , 12:16 PM
Its not great, its clean though, thanks dude..again this is a around or just under two days at work without photo refs.

Eyes,,,well Im a reall stickler for quads so even the corners have a small set of them, then its just a case of tweaking until it suits your needs...attached a couple of closer images

ears attached too for anyones curiosity on those...

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 203 27-04-2014 , 07:54 PM
Figured I would stick this up over here. This is the Cryengine topo pic in their manual. Could be useful for some. It at the very least shows edge-flow in red in a front orthographic view.

Attached Images
# 204 27-04-2014 , 11:56 PM
great thanks Collin. Its good to get a Game mesh on here for once, hopefully someone will find it useful. It looks like the layout is pretty standard except for the tris which are not really highly regarded in vfx

cheers
J

# 205 28-04-2014 , 12:23 AM
Technical Director
I dunno about tris, they have their uses. When I took a class with Steven Stahlberg I learned that they can be quite useful to create some more irregular shapes.

# 206 28-04-2014 , 09:57 AM
John

Im not going to gloss this subject so dont take it the wrong way young man...

For most cases in a vfx company..tris are really frowned upon, they wont go through a sanity/model checker in most cases. Its quads all the way. And yes we know every quad is divided into a tri at render time, but thats render time, not model creation or rigging and so on.

To be totally direct... Stahlberg is good... He isnt involved in VFX , he is more mmo and realtime online and all that, so tris arent going to be a limitation for him so he can get away with it.He is good at what he does, dont get me wrong and I learned a few things off him about 10 years ago with regard to subds, but thats as far as it goes. We have all got alot of respect for him as an artist as he is very very good, but as I said he doesnt work in vfx and therefore he can say about using tris here or there. He has reason to because of his line of work.

I mean this is the guy that puts five siders in a characters face because he simply cant be bothered to go around and tidy up ( he has even said this) he has also contradicted this too saying dont put these types of geo in deforming areas. Yet he does it.

This is why I said about tris being more useful for games and so on.

we could go around all day discussing the tri and the quad approach, but the fact is, quads are the preferred method for vfx - simple.

As you are a Technical Director you should be aware of this already

J

# 207 29-04-2014 , 02:24 AM
Technical Director
Yes, I understand perfectly fine, and I know that quads are preferred; I have worked in many different VFX companies. Hell, I wrote a checker to look for quads!

Notice however that I never mentioned that it's good for deformation or anything else. I only mentioned that it can simply create some nice shapes. Perhaps I should have added that once you have that shape, then of course, go back and refine the topology. (This is what I get when I post at 2 am...)

Last edited by NextDesign; 29-04-2014 at 02:27 AM.
# 208 29-04-2014 , 08:02 AM
Thanks for the pictures man user added image
great job man once again, makes me motivated to go home and create some people

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 209 29-04-2014 , 08:47 AM
John, which VFX firms have you worked at?

J

# 210 01-05-2014 , 12:03 AM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
tri's... quads... isnt it cardio day today?
user added image

level 3 luchador!

image dump