Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 11-02-2012 , 06:58 PM
Sorry Jay I was just joking about the shit vs shoot thing. I should have put a smilie face or something. Sometimes my humor is to dry I guess. I was implying I would both shit and shoot myself if they made the mudbox UI like the ZB one (that is if I was a sculptor and I used either of them) <smile>

I was just trying to emphasize that I feel the ZB interface is very non-intuitive and I find almost everyone agrees that the mudbox interface is more user friendly and intuitive so I would be upset if they tried to confobulate the friendly ui to make it more like ZB

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
# 47 11-02-2012 , 07:03 PM
And what is up with ptex? I have heard it mentioed a couple times. I googled and see it's a walt disney thingy. How is it used? I only see a source code download for it. Not sure how one would use it with a model. I guess you can paint on a model without UV'ing with it but have not found any kind of client app

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.
# 48 11-02-2012 , 07:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I know you were mate..no offence taken dont worry..its all in good humour.

Yes I have found that with regard to the Mud interface.....moreso the actual button config being like Mayas...everyone is comfy in it.

The Zb interface is totally customiseable too so you can chuck a load out that you dont need. I did!! And then just save the config out.

Just a little off topic here though but still Zbrush/Mudbox related........read on....

If anything is head and shoulders above all this though its this: I dont think people are appreciative or moreso even aware of the cool support given by Pixologic for Zbrush. Something that neither Alias did for Maya or Autodesk will even contemplate for any of the software they now own. Simply put, you buy a license of Zbrush for what near 700 bucks these days which for software is still damn cheap in the current climate, I bought Zbrush 2 for 275 bucks years back when it 'arrived'. But after the initial purchase every single upgrade or release is then FREE of charge!!! with support for problems of every kind.

It makes me smile when everyone is looking for a crack of it.......granted not all can afford 700bucks but with a little thought....a lot of hassle could be avoided.

J

# 49 11-02-2012 , 07:20 PM
Yeah I got ZB back when it was around $200 and it seemed like it was the new hotness in 3D and I was more into organic modeling. I have been really surprised that they still are updating it for free. Any other company would have made ZB2R4 = ZB3 and R4b would be ZB4, etc.

Unfortunately I still struggle to use it well as I suck as a sculptor and I struggle to use a wacom tablet. I just need to practice and find a project that motivates me though. I am sure I can learn.

I was going to use ZB for painting and normals but I find MB easier and as you've mentioned better at painting. So poor ZB sits forlorned on my desktop accept for the occasional day when I feel guilty and try to use it for something, anything really, but I usually end up with the same irradiated mutant potato looking thingy. alas. (smile)

Last edited by ctbram; 11-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.
# 50 11-02-2012 , 07:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
I really do appreciate pixologic's upgrade policy. As a result of that, z is pretty much the only software I have a commercial version of... everything else is educational pricing. I can't afford commercial for anything else knowing I will probably have to pay out the nose to upgrade later on.

# 51 11-02-2012 , 07:29 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
PTEX is yes. But it can be incorporated into Mari, C4d, Renderman, Houdini and Mudbox etc....it does need to be compiled.

We are currently looking at it for the future but have to wait and see. From what I know though it doesnt render in Mental Ray (would you believe LOL)

Again back to Zbrush....you can paint a model without uvs, and then just generate them in zbrush after...they work fine

Jay

# 52 11-02-2012 , 07:32 PM
ah cool I downloaded the source I will try compiling it and see if I can incorporate it into things

Thanks Jay

# 53 13-02-2012 , 06:37 AM
Subscriber
what is ur opinion on the create UV function for mudbox?

# 54 13-02-2012 , 10:45 AM
The thin red line
Is there a create UVs in mudbox?...........dave

# 55 13-02-2012 , 11:22 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 56 13-02-2012 , 01:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
Bullet, only if you're stopping in Mudbox or you're doing ptex.

# 57 13-02-2012 , 04:25 PM
Do you have to purcahse ptex? I found a site ptex.us that hosts the source at github. The latest version listed is 2.0.33 but when I go to github only 2.0.32 is available. Very confusing!

I am still confused about the process. How does it interface with Mudbox and other apps? Is it a plugin?

How is it used? Is there a client app or is it just an export / import file format?

Last edited by ctbram; 13-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
# 58 13-02-2012 , 05:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Found this article on one workflow: https://3dsurvival.hu/index.php?optio...kkek&Itemid=37

It sounds like 3DCoat, Mari, and Mudbox 2012 can generate ptex files by painting, and then you can render them with Vray or Renderman for Maya. The support is still not that widespread.

I would guess that the source you have is more so software developers can integrate it into their packages. I don't know if you can use it as is.

Last edited by stwert; 13-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.
# 59 13-02-2012 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
the create UV function in mudbox makes a very neatly uniform UV layout but its very rigid and no real shape. It just organizes all the polys into a neat bunch of rows like a game of tetris.

# 60 18-02-2012 , 09:10 AM
Subscriber
Ok so i went and made a normal map in mudbox and exported everything back to maya now in theory i should have gotten whats in picture 1 when i rendered it out but instead I got picture 2 which looks like a sprayon muscle job. did i do something wrong or skip a step? cause i cant export both a bump and a normal map it seems. and when i try to do just a bump map it gets all freaky on me.

Attached Thumbnails