Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-09-2011 , 09:15 AM

URGENT!! Arabic text in maya..

Hi,
Can you please tell me how to create Arabic text in maya?

My computer have arabic font and my keybord can type both english and arabic. So i Went to Create>text in maya and when i type in text box its showing arabic text. But after clicking apply or ok its showing "??????" in the orthographic and prespective view.

Ep curve is very difficult to create more arabic text.

Please help me solve this.. or if there is any other options.. it's very important I need to work on it today before end of day!!

Thank you..
Karoll

# 2 14-09-2011 , 10:45 AM
Hi Karoll,
How do arabic letters behave? Do you have special fonts for them, or do they work in every normal font? Because this might be a font problem.

But my other suggestion would be to use Adobe Illustrator to create a vector and then import it into maya. If you don't have access to Illustrator you could also try Inkscape. But I must admit, that I dont know the exact way how to do it in these two programs...
Just look for a few tutorials and you should get it.

Hope you'll finish today user added image

Cheers,
Roman
# 3 14-09-2011 , 10:52 AM
Hey!!

Well arabic letters look like this " كارول" that's my name in arabic and the word i'm working on is much more complicated.. I did try the Illustrator way but ended up in a big mess..

Anyway.. thank you

and good luck for whatever ur working on :)

# 4 14-09-2011 , 11:05 AM
Yea, i know how they look like user added image but i meant whether you have a specific font to use arabic letters, or you can type arabic letters inside of every other font like Arial or Times etc?
Because if you have one specific font specially for arabic letters it might be a problem so maya cant work with it.

edit: well, i ended up trying it myself. Just copied your name. Times New Roman didnt work, but Arial did. Here's what i got:

Attached Images

Cheers,
Roman

Last edited by MrTerminator; 14-09-2011 at 11:13 AM.
# 5 04-12-2011 , 07:17 PM
the best way is, Type the text in illustrator, save it as ai file. and import to maya as illustrator file.

but you get it as curve when you import ai file. than you can apply the bevel to it.

try

# 6 10-01-2013 , 05:28 PM
Did you get this issue resolved? i'm having the same problem.

# 7 11-01-2013 , 12:33 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 8 11-01-2013 , 03:46 AM
Technical Director
You could also type the text in Adobe Illustrator, then import the .ai file.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 11-01-2013 , 07:03 AM
When in UAE we used the method as previously described of typing it out in AI and sending it to maya. Worked fine and we had loads of arabic we pumped through.

# 10 11-01-2013 , 07:54 AM
Do you need help with translation ?

You know you have been working too long in cg when your out side and you look up at the trees and say

"Wow that's spectacular resolution ."
# 11 18-03-2013 , 03:42 PM
Hi all.

Karoll if you still need help with writing arabic (or any RTL language) in illustrator you can use my tutorial
https://www.alinspired.com/tutorials/...n-illustrator/
which i have explained how to create texts using illustrator, then simply save your document as illustrator v8 format and import into MAYA.

if you want more information please dont hesitate to message me.

thanks