Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-11-2012 , 11:33 PM

Recovering a file, no idea what's wrong. Urgent help needed.

I was working on a project for school. I had autosave set up, and it appeared to be working fine. About 2 hours in, Maya crashed, but when I went to reopen the last autosave, Maya would open but show nothing. All of the autosaves do this; not a single file opens anything.

I read somewhere that if I import one of the saves into a new scene, it would show up. I did this, and it showed up, but once I saved that scene it wouldn't open again. Does anyone know what the problem is? It's very frustrating since this is a midterm assignment, and I've been in a state of panic during the entire thing because of all this.

# 2 02-11-2012 , 08:07 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 02-11-2012 , 09:45 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Also, sometimes maya will save an extra file, in the same directory as the original but its not always obvious unless you select 'all files' in the drop down file type menu.

It does occasionally save an invisible mb file but will look something like this example:

'my model name'.mb xf12hfhakfjflslslswxef

so its worth looking for that at well. the file will be bigger too but if you do have one reopen it and just save as something else.

Jay