Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-09-2007 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber

unable to start docserver and geometry issues

Two questions, when I open maya 6.5 on my computer the little bar in the lower left corner says "Warning: Unable to start docServer." Whats causing this? It doesn't happen when I open maya 8.5

Next question, all my geometry gets this weird see through in both 6.5 and 8.5 it's hard to explain so I'll attach an image. Is this the cause of a weak graphics card? I'm guessing it is, but this is a recent issue I've been having since I reinstalled 6.5 but it's always happened in 8.5.
user added image
Thats how my geometry looks in both versions of maya I have on my computer. before I ever installed 8.5 I never had this glitch but now it's happening in both versions out of no where. I'm thinking a better graphics card would fix it. I really want to work in maya again but that glitch is really irritating to try and deal with and to work smoothly.

# 2 22-09-2007 , 01:03 AM
Dont know if this will help but I know the older maya versions installed a service in windows that automatically sat there waiting for you to start maya.

You might be able to kickstart it (if on windows) by going into 'Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services
In the popup window you can scroll down and find 'Maya Document Server' (or similar) which you can right click and start.

If its not there then it probably wasnt installed when you put 6.5 on. Pop the CD back in and run through an install and just add the documentation in.

EDIT: I think the path to the documentation can also sometimes screw up so check that it installed it into your location if it wasn't the default path.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 22-09-2007 at 01:05 AM.
# 3 23-09-2007 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
thanks for your help on the docserver issue. I haven't tried either method yet but I will give it a shot soon

Anyone have any idea about the geometry issue? Graphics card is my guess.

# 4 23-09-2007 , 07:36 AM
Subscriber
quick update, apparently the graphic problem only seems to happen in 8.5 and files from 8.5 opened in 6.5 If I start a fresh scene in 6.5 it works fine. Looks like it's back to the old version until I can continue updating my computer.