Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-09-2007 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber

Normal Maps in Maya

Hi,
I'be been away from site a long while but would love to come back and try a competition, I was playing around tonight and got stuck.....

The problem i'm having is - I have a normal map that I created in
'Crazy Bump' and now i'd like to use it in Maya, the problem Is I can't find many tutorials on how to do it, some are obviously old and tell you to download JS_Normalmapper - (some kind of shader node)
Another told me to attach it to a bump node, but wasn't specific of settings....The last says to use a node I don't even seem to have in my list...(Yeah I cjhecked in M/Ray ones and it isnt there either?)
I was going to rip my hair out, then thought, hmmm surely Autodesk has fixed this by 8.5, or has a decent 'Node' by now -
Checked 'HELP' but seemed to be nothing much there....

So basically can someone tell me how to get my normal map onto my Lambert, then get it to render please?
Or point me in the right direction, but have seen most of sites and most are old and very confusing....user added image

# 2 22-09-2007 , 01:17 PM
Plug it into a bump node and then in the bump node itself change it from a bump to a tangent spaced normal.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 22-09-2007 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for that, so simple....Just tried and it works fine
without much tweaking.

(BTW - Just noticed you are local, so if you are at the Autodesk
'doo' on Wednesday at the Malmaison Hotel, i'll buy you a pint)

"What a good doo eh?"

'Appen yul be able to tell which one I am as I talk like Fred D
misssen, my owd cock.....

Thanks again... Scraggy