Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-08-2008 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber

Scooby Doo

I haven't posted much of my work here. In fact it has been a very long time since I have posted much of anything. But I hope that the fact that this was a challenge in another website. But I was very pleased on how it had turned out and wanted to share it here as I visited here alot everyday.

I was supposed to make a 3D render of a 2D cartoon character. I had chosen Scooby Doo and used the a picture I had found as reference.

And I had an idea to have Scooby going to a scary movie at a Drive-In (I am Old and remember them!).

The biggest challenge for me was the decals on the van. I am not an artist and can't draw worth S__T! But I came up with an idea that I could model them and render them and use them in my textures. I was pleased on how it turned out.

I have not done any composting till this and did at least 10 or 12 composite layers. I wanted to get the shadowing of the different lights correct.

Hope you like it!! ;-)

2D:
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t.../ScoobyVan.jpg

3D (My finished version):
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ster_Scene.jpg

P.S. I have had some wine and hope this post works ok!! ;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).

Last edited by oldhippie_tom; 30-08-2008 at 07:47 AM.
# 2 30-08-2008 , 07:51 AM
ha ha - nice job mate - i like this a lot - a few textures look a little bright and colorful, but given this is based on a cartoon, i don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

the van maybe looks a little small and i think it would be nice to add more variation to the spec map as it's looking a bit shiny all over.

but overall this is great - i like it a lot - let's see some more images of the van please!

enjoy your wine. user added image

# 3 30-08-2008 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
Arron, thank you very much for the kind words. I am sorry that this is the only view of it I have. I had installed Vista and had some problems and lost my .ma file for it.

I had spent WAY TOO much time working on how to do the decals and only had a few days left when I had found how I could do it. So I became rushed at the end. If the van seems big then maybe I was off there.

By the way!! I remember you older avatar and wondered if you had seen Cheech and Chong are back together for a tour? Just curious as an Old Hippie keeps up on those things!!

Thanks Arron!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 30-08-2008 , 08:24 AM
ha ha - yeah - i did see that - should be a laugh. i thought i heard that they might be making another film too.... or maybe i made that up. user added image

did you see pineapple express? definitely worth seeing if you didn't... user added image

# 5 30-08-2008 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
Yes Arran, I had seen that. You do have a side to you! HaHaHa!!

I saw Cheech and Chong on the news when they announced the tour. They both look very old. But I guess they are. And Tommy Chong looked very shaky. But I can bet they should have me laughing till I cry.!! ;-)

# 6 30-08-2008 , 08:21 PM
So, I take it you are a mel brooks fan? Those movies are great.

The van looks nice too, but I agree that it looks a bit small

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 7 30-08-2008 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Joopson!! It seems I would have been better off to have made a WIP for it as I was working on it. I just remembered that the ticket booths were tall, but It seems I got carried away!!

Yes, I like Mel Brooks alot. When Blazing Saddles came out it was so unique at the time. I don't think I had ever laughed harder at a movie. And Young Frankenstein!! Like that sort of humor

# 8 01-09-2008 , 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
This looks good, though the van could use a little "Hey! Pot heads drive this van" type scruff.

- Genny
# 9 01-09-2008 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
HaHaHa!! Yes GecT that is true. But liked a bumper sticker I saw back then when all of the freaks loved driving vans. It said "If you think this is funny, where is your daughter tonight?" HaHaHa!!

# 10 26-09-2008 , 02:25 PM
nice image ... but ithink you need an occlusion pass in order to give the hall image a more sense of contrast between colors and shadows

You Deserve
# 11 26-09-2008 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
Thank you zico_samagoria. Glad you liked it. And I do appreciate your thoughts. But it is a final image that I finished some time ago for the monthly project. I will remember your suggestions for next time!!