Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-04-2013 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber

Modeling work-flow in Maya

Hi all,

I need some hints from the cracks regarding modeling work-flow.
I'm modeling for game environments on a low-poly base. The required texture format fro the game engine is DDS and the file must be of a size 512x512 or 512x256 etc.
Now, many times I'm just modeling an object like a house, a barn etc. which are not so complex using about 5-7 different textures (plaster, concrete, wood, roof tiles, metal, windows and doors etc.).
If the building would be accessible ingame then I need more textures and some times objects that I will 'duplicate special'.
Two questions I have regarding the work-flow:
  1. 1) Should I put all the texures on 1 UV map, it means the whole building on 1 UV map? Also a complete scene like in the image attached, or should I spread the buildings on different UV maps?
  2. 2) Repetitive objects, should I build up only one, texturing and then 'duplicate special'? This would mean that my worklfow will change and I'm not modeling the whole scene and finally texturing it but modeling and object, texturing it, modeling next obejct and texturing it on the same UV map and so on.

Many thanks for your answer in advance.