Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-11-2013 , 12:16 AM

Model as a whole or in section?

Hello, I'm starting my A-10 model all over again, I want to be as detailed as possible, and later on add animation to all moving parts of the airplane..

Should I be modeling it as one piece, or in section/parts?

I have seen a few models of A-10 where the fuselage and wings are different mesh who are just grouped together? So I'm wondering if I should model everything in sections/parts and then just group all the different meshes together or model it as a single mesh?

of course modeling as different meshes will be a lot more easier, but is it right?

# 2 23-11-2013 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
I always model in sections. If down the line you see that i can be combined then do it but it makes things alot cleaner to start with bits.

But thats how i roll :-)

# 3 23-11-2013 , 10:52 AM

I always model in sections. If down the line you see that i can be combined then do it but it makes things alot cleaner to start with bits.

But thats how i roll :-)

ok, but if you model for a video game? can it be modeled in sections?

It's just when ever you model in section it feels like you are just gluing together mesh because you can't continue the edge flow clean, so you glue mesh instead, it feels not neutral at least to me..

I like it when the mesh is one single piece with a continuous edge/polygon flow..

# 4 23-11-2013 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
Some one gave me the models from streetfighter 4 once to have a look at. They were all seperate bits - they looked like toys more than game models.

Most game models are made in zbrush/mudbox these days with loads of different bits then retopolagised after as one or three bits (find head and hair usally still seperated). There is nothing wrong with u trying to line the geo up so it matchs.

End of the day though its all about how you like to work.

# 5 23-11-2013 , 07:27 PM

Some one gave me the models from streetfighter 4 once to have a look at. They were all seperate bits - they looked like toys more than game models.

Most game models are made in zbrush/mudbox these days with loads of different bits then retopolagised after as one or three bits (find head and hair usally still seperated). There is nothing wrong with u trying to line the geo up so it matchs.

End of the day though its all about how you like to work.

Yeah, I understand.. Thank you. I'll try my best to keep my geometry flow in a good flow so I'll be able to make it as a single piece.

Thank you!

# 6 23-11-2013 , 11:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If its hard surface, model it as separate objects. Its just easier Sometimes though you can do parts as a full object but generally keep them separate....

Jay