Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-09-2013 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber

NormMaps coming out blank...

Hi Folks

Running Maya2013 and frustrated after hours of just trying to problem solve this issue. It seems silly enough but I am getting blank maps from Maya.

I am enclosing an image of my 'current' settings as I have changed settings ten different ways at this point; trying a variety of options with no success.

I have even removed any excess or all materials... assigned new - still nothing.

Ready to kick thingsuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-09-2013 , 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Is the target mesh enclosed inside the source mesh?

- Genny
# 3 03-09-2013 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I place them right on top of each other (same placement cntrl d would place a dup). I should mention that I am using a plugin to decrease poly in my mesh - that wouldnt have anything to do with the outcome of maps would it? Thanks for your reply.

# 4 04-09-2013 , 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Check the UV's on the object. It could be that there aren't any and you need to lay them out.

- Genny
# 5 04-09-2013 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
Ok good idea - hadnt thought of that...will check today and get back... thank you

# 6 23-10-2013 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
Hi there again,

After an arduous month of business flight I am at this again a bit more steadily. I have purchased the tutorial "Mastering UV layout" so that I can get beyond this normal map problem that I had been having in my initial post here. I did find that the previous suggestion was correct; the UVs were either non-existent or were not laid out properly as I see from the tutorials.

I am currently working on the hand tutorial and found the need to ask a question about the instructor's settings. I am following step by step but getting different results as shown in these two images.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/crnhn643szia8co/mine.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c8oys4y858vsmc/tut_vs.png

(Edited) Found the issue - a little tiny edge was not selected user added image through the whole darn thing off. Ok still working on this issue.

Last edited by LadyDiva; 23-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.