Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-09-2003 , 01:43 AM

self-shadowing-reflection problem

OK.. i have this irregular self-shadowing reflection problem. I do know about about the lighting self-shadowing problem, but this is a bit different. I have an object, as you can see which is materialed with a picture of puppies. Right in front of it, i have a thin polygon object with a glass type material and raytracing. When i go to render out the scene, i get this self-shadowing-reflection problem on my piece of glass. Has anyone ever had this problem? Any solutions???

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-09-2003 , 03:03 AM
The Maya Mountain
Do you not want reflections? Turn reflectivity down in the picture's material. If you do, maybe turn off "receive shadows" in the surface's render stats.

# 3 17-09-2003 , 03:18 AM
Yes i did want reflections.. sorry that i did not mention it. Thank you, i did fix the problem, but do you know why it happened??? because if were to take off the reflection, there would be no self-shadowing, but as soon as i added any type of reflection, it would cause the self shadowing reflection problem. Just want to know for future related problems. Thank you again