Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-05-2012 , 05:09 PM

Alternative to Grouping Objects?

Recently, when I need to re-size multiple objects which need to retain their relative distance from each other, I've been grouping the objects. However, I noticed this really screws up my Outliner and keeps me from organizing my scene.
For example, I was building a barn, when I decided that I wanted to make the building bigger in proportion to the objects inside it. If I just selcted the walls/ceiling and scaled them up, they wouldn't be scaled as a group.
Is there another way to scale multiple objects simultaneously? Should I be combining the objects then separating them afterwards?

Last edited by AlienHook; 15-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
# 2 15-05-2012 , 06:30 PM
Technical Director
You could use a scale constraint.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 15-05-2012 , 07:57 PM
how do i do that?

# 4 15-05-2012 , 08:52 PM
The thin red line
Its in animation, constraints I could not get it to work like a group.............dave

# 5 16-05-2012 , 08:37 AM
Lifetime Member
I group and ungroup often...then when I know Im done I will rename my objects in the outliner. I have just discovered that you can get uniform scale and maintain offsets if you go into the scale tool editor and pick the manipulator as the pivot point...it is a bit crazy because you have to pick an object on 0,0,0 to do it correctly.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes