Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-09-2004 , 07:40 PM

Paper Blowing in Wind

For class i need to make a dynamic test of like paper being blow by wind into a wall and stop, or into a pole and kinda wrapping around it. but i don't know how to do this. whenever i make a plane a softbody i can't really get it to act right at all.

# 2 27-09-2004 , 09:34 PM
Subscriber
ok i think i might kno what ur looking for. how about i publish the file here and if u like ill tell u how. ok?

# 3 28-09-2004 , 01:34 AM
Why don't you ask your teacher for help? Oh... user added image

# 4 28-09-2004 , 04:08 AM
Gohan: That'd be nice, but at the same time i'd kinda need to know how it was done, because i think i'd have to do it again/explain it to him. Plus i'd like to learn how

# 5 28-09-2004 , 04:38 AM

monkey learnin suckers jason

Learnin' is for suckers. I've had my trusty helper-monkey do my Maya for me since May 2002

# 6 28-09-2004 , 08:38 AM
you can do it with softbodies or cloth. You can use a barrier constraint to do the wall part of it. And then use an air field with drag and turbulence to blow the cloth along.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 29-09-2004 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
when i made a soft body for the paper, it just hits the pole, it doesnt bend.

# 8 29-09-2004 , 08:47 AM
how are you doing it?

here's what i got in 5 mins. Trick is to make the soft bodies particles collide with the cylinder. Particles >> Make Collide

I've attached the scene file (it's for maya 06). You will have to play with it to get the collision stuff exactly right. There is a lot of intersecting of the plane with the pole at the moment (mainly because the pole is low poly and the plane has no thickness.)

user added image
Alan

Attached Files
File Type: zip paper.zip (50.0 KB, 370 views)

IMDB
# 9 29-09-2004 , 12:25 PM
When i try to open it, it says there are errors which result in data loss and hten the scene is empty

# 10 29-09-2004 , 12:59 PM
weird, ok in that case:

1. create nurbs plane with 10 divisions
2. create nurbs cylinder
3. Select nurbsPlane and make it a soft body and create springs
4. select particles of the softbody
5. select cylinder and go to particles >> make collide
6. Add an air field that blows the particles in the right direction
7. add a turbulence field
8. Play user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 11 29-09-2004 , 03:05 PM
when i add the air field, like the plane moves a little, like it were wafting, but it doens't actually like blow anywhere, it keeps trying to stay in the middle.

# 12 29-09-2004 , 03:08 PM
make the air field stronger and have it play back for longer. It will move.

Myabe if you also parent the springs under the plane object that might help.

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 13 29-09-2004 , 03:35 PM
I let it play like 500 frames and i made the wind so strong that the cyllender moves, but like the paper itself it moves at first but like a small wobble and tries to stay in the center. in fact if i move the plane up and let it play it animates it giong back down to the center

# 14 29-09-2004 , 03:51 PM
Cancel that last one, i had it creating the softbody with a goal, that was causing hte problem. the only real problem i have now, is when the paper hits the pole, it goes through until the last row of particles hit it, also when it hits it the paper kinda blows backwards and then gets blown forward again, wraps around and then gets blow back again.

# 15 29-09-2004 , 04:29 PM
well this is where you learning skills come in! user added image you need to tweak the params so that you can get it to stick to the pole. You might think "hey it's intersecting the pole I want to render...I'll put an invisible pole there to make it intersect and make it slightly larger... " etc.

As for the fields, I have no idea what you have set them to so I can't comment on that. But keep trying and post your results for us to see.

Alan

IMDB