Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-09-2008 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber

Displacement map?

Does anyone know the best technique on creating a displacement map please? I have created a displacement map in photoshop but now I am clueless.

I have pressed F1 for help and googled but im still unsure. Every render comes out with no effect.

I am trying to create a bumpy road using a texture displacement.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 2 21-09-2008 , 10:40 AM
# 3 21-09-2008 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
hey elephantinc

Thanx for the link! However, im such a noob to the hypershade. I dont know how to input connections etc and what to connect to what node

sorry user added image

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 4 21-09-2008 , 09:16 PM
the displacement map doesnt go on the matterial shader it goes on the shading group.

Matterial / surface shaders deal with the look of the surface, if you go to the shading group you will see a slot for a displacement map.

Just drop your texture into that slot, if the results look awfull play with the color balance settings of your pictures to get the amount of displacement ok, and if your rendering with mental ray go to the approximation editor.
Which is Windows, rendering, mental ray i belive. Add add a new displacement approximation and assign it to the object your dealing with and change the preset to a higher quality setting.

GL dude