Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-03-2003 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber

Animation question.Please answer.

Q1- I am working on an animation where cameras,mobile phones....etc (communication devices) fly all around in the scene.
In this animation I have a newspaper rolled up at the start and then it unrolls near the end.
I keyed the the 1st frame(rolled newspaper) then at the last frame I opened the newspaper and set the key. I was expecting Maya to do the inbetween opening part but the newspaper in the 1st frame changes as well to unrolled newspaper.
How do I do this???????? Please HELP me !!!!!
Normally if I have a small cube on the 1st frame and then I make it bigger in the last frame Maya creates the transition. In this case it is the same objet(newspaper) but I used the edit points to open the newspaper in the last frame.......but it does not open the newspaper. If I change one frame it changes all. I hope you understand my problem

# 2 19-03-2003 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
I guess the answer to this problem will solve my other ones as well which is how do I make an object convert from opaque in one frame to transparent in another.
OR have a light turn on and off or change brightnessuser added image

# 3 19-03-2003 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber
My guess is that it's probably just a keying issue. If it were me, I would delete all keys made in the timeline, then rekey the newspaper making sure that you're at frame 1 when it's rolled and at the last frame when it's unrolled. Also, if you are just going to have these two key points, your newspaper whenn begin to unroll at frame two and will slowly unravel until the last frame. Are you sure you want it to be unrolling throughout the entire animation or do you want it to be rolled up for most of the animation, then near the end unrolls? If so, you need to key your newspaper in its "rolled" state near the end. You can easily do this by simply copying and pasting the frame 1 key. Hope that helps.

# 4 19-03-2003 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
Of and for your second question, transparency and the brightness of lights can also be keyed. Select a light and choose Window>Attribute Editor I think. Adjust the brightness, then right-click to the left of it and select "key frame."

# 5 19-03-2003 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Darkware...will try again when I get home.

grrrr
# 6 19-03-2003 , 08:19 PM
It sound like you're trying to animate the actual vertices on your newspaper mesh, which you cannot do. One possibility is to use clusters to control the vertices. Another is using a bend deformer. Yet another is using blendshapes.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 7 19-03-2003 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber
bend deformers

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 19-03-2003 , 08:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm able to key vertices... user added image

I think what I would do in this situation is Blend Shapes with Inbetween.

# 9 19-03-2003 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
You can animate vertices by keying them individually.

# 10 22-03-2003 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
Yes I can key vertices as well:-) I could not before when I posted this thread.......

grrrr
# 11 29-03-2003 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
Of and for your second question, transparency and the brightness of lights can also be keyed. Select a light and choose Window>Attribute Editor I think. Adjust the brightness, then right-click to the left of it and select "key frame."<<<<<

OK I did this and it works fine for increasing or decreasing the intensity of a fixed light source. I can't make it to work with a light that is moving or part of a group.
For example I have a mobile phone which is revolving with a LED. I want the LED to be off and then near the end of the phones rotation to light up. I can make the light turn on and off on it's own but not when it is changing it's position. Do I need to use set driven keys or something???

grrrr
# 12 29-03-2003 , 10:36 PM
what the problem may have been, was that you were only keying the position. But if it turns out you can key vertices, then do that. However, unless you put in a lot of keys, it wont look right, so i sugest a bend deformer as others said.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 13 29-03-2003 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
Ultragames I am talking about the second part of the question. The vertices was the 1st part and that one is completely solved :-)

grrrr
# 14 29-03-2003 , 10:54 PM
sry

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!