Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 166 28-11-2007 , 12:21 PM
sure. thanks user added image

the back is looking a bit flat now that i look at it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 167 29-11-2007 , 04:13 PM
That meaning is an original invention and good work. You know my big wish is design myself house, cookroom, bedroom... and some furnitures. Haaa

The first one is Reading lamp, you can find me. keep up!
user added image

# 168 01-12-2007 , 09:56 AM
more chair...

Attached Thumbnails
# 169 01-12-2007 , 03:23 PM
Nice chair

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 170 02-12-2007 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
nice work so far, really like you textures... i need to do some sort of chair/sofa for my work, how did you goa bout texturing that?

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 171 02-12-2007 , 01:07 AM
thanks louis and wod. user added image

i started with a 2d cloth texture with some adjustments for the fabric. I also used 2 brownian textures to add some variation to the color. I used the same texture for the bump and then combined the geometry and converted it to a file texture (under the edit menu in the hypershade).

in photoshop i added some wear to the seat, arm rests, back cushion,etc and also some creases to the edge of the arms. Then I just reapplied these new textures to the chair.

i was hoping to get a zig zag type pattern going on with the texture, and tried out some ramps on the place2dtexture node, but in the end i didn't get it to work, so gave up...

# 172 02-12-2007 , 09:33 AM
hey how do you model this stuff so good? do you use reference images or whats some good tips?

# 173 02-12-2007 , 10:50 AM
hey - thanks altadena user added image

yeah - i use reference images and i also spent a lot of time measuring stuff. the best tip i can give is, if you're not sure how to model something just start blocking out the basic shape first. once you start getting the basic shape, it will become a lot more apparent how to deal with the difficult areas.

also, if you realise that you can think of a better way of making something after you've started, don't be afraid to start again, rather than keep hacking away at something that's not working.

if you have any questions post them on the forums - just make sure you ask specific questions as you are much more likely to get a response.

hope that helps. user added image

# 174 03-12-2007 , 12:30 AM
Hey,

It's all coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing some renders of that room.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 175 03-12-2007 , 03:33 AM
cheers giochromo - hopefully soon - i need to get this finished and move on to something a little less... work related!

# 176 03-12-2007 , 06:48 AM
quick question - i have several pieces of paper in my scene which i'm modeling using nurbs. i know that nurbs are textured differently to polygons. at the moment i am just assigning a shader to each piece of paper and then attaching the texture, but this means i'll need a shader for each piece of paper. is there a way to combine the UVs of all the paper into one texture map that i can assign to a single shader? would I use convert to file texture and then do it in Photoshop or is there another way?

# 177 03-12-2007 , 02:37 PM
As always arran very nice modeling and texturing.

Using the latest version of Maya!!!!
My ultimate goal is perfection!!!!
# 178 03-12-2007 , 03:51 PM
Arran, the seat looks great.

Gor the paper, couldn't you just assign the same shader to all the bits of paper? Once shader connected to the texture, shared by all the sheets?

gubar

# 179 03-12-2007 , 06:42 PM
hey - thanks mickael_alex and gubar.

yeah - i could assign the same shader to each piece of paper - the problem is that each would need a different texture and so i'm just not sure how to arrange the nurbs uvs (i'm guessing in PS) so that they can have different textures.

just got off a couple of night shifts so my brain isn't really working... user added image

# 180 03-12-2007 , 06:49 PM
Ah, I see what you mean, they are to have different textures.

Sorry I thought you mean't they'd share a generic paper texture.