Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-03-2011 , 12:21 AM

March Challenge - Environment - Joopson

Hey everyone!
I feel like I'm not on here nearly enough anymore. College. user added image
But regardless, I can't pass up an opportunity like this. I'll post some ideas today.
Not sure what I'll do yet, so I'll get brainstorming!
Adieu, until then.
Wish me luck.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 2 01-03-2011 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
I thought someone was missing - welcome back

# 3 01-03-2011 , 03:14 AM
Trying to blurt out some things that inspire me as I do some homework.
Wasn't really getting anywhere, so I'll do a more proper sketch session tomorrow. As it stands, I do like some of these ideas- such as the silo farm scene, the evil hand-tree, and, perhaps, even the tomb idea, if I could find some good reference of early American tombs made by European settlers... From the inside.
I really like the silhouette of the giant mushroom, but as far as an environment goes, it could get fairly limited.
As I said- more proper ideas tomorrow.
https://img192.imageshack.us/img192/772/82580144.jpg

www.joopson.com
# 4 01-03-2011 , 07:42 AM
Lifetime Member
A tomb mate? as in Mausoleum?? yeh welcome back...havent seen you around for AGES man...you must be into your 4th Diploma by now? LOL....

cheers bullet

Edit: I know these arent refs...but is this what you meant tomb wise? At least it will give you some names anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor..._United_States

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 01-03-2011 at 07:50 AM.
# 5 01-03-2011 , 07:56 AM
Whatever these are called:
https://www.graveinfo.com/NJ/NorthBer...n/P1010028.JPG
Inside there would be a cool environment; though I'm sure it isn't exactly a decorated, haha. But again, I haven't yet begun to really brainstorm yet. Just some ideas to get me going with more.

And, oh, well, I'm almost into my second year, haha.
Been rather busy with it though; I'm glad I'm doing it. Already learned a couple programs I wouldn't have ever gotten to know otherwise (UDK and 3DsMax)
So, it may mean I have less time to post here for now, but when I get through with it, I'll post as often as my little heart lets me, haha.

But, anyway, thanks for the link- those are a bit too polished and, well, uncreepy for me, haha; but it is certainly a good place for me to start.
I'll try to brainstorm some more tomorrow. Or rather, I will brainstorm more tomorrow.

www.joopson.com
# 6 01-03-2011 , 08:08 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL yeh I guess the link was polished...somebody posted a thread in here (sorry man I cant remember) with dilapitated buildings...will get back to you...try somewhere like Eastern Europe..they would have this stuff all over the place mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 01-03-2011 , 08:14 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 8 06-03-2011 , 05:42 AM
Sorry, guys - my brother abducted me for the weekend, haha- so until Monday, any and all productivity has been disallowed.
But I'll certainly do some paper sketching until then, between Call-of-Duty and watching movies.
I was thinking about a storm-drain environment as well.... Still unsure.
As I said, come Monday, I'll post some more sketches, or a blockout, depending on how far I get conceptually.
So sorry for the delay!
Adieu.

www.joopson.com
# 9 08-03-2011 , 12:19 PM
Quick 3D sketch of an idea thrown together at 4 AM. Not very impressive? Nope.
It's a storm-drain idea... it seems far too unintimate to me now that I look at it. Something smaller and closer is probably what I'm going to go for. Maybe a single wall of a stormdrain-
Perhaps something like these:
https://www.infiltration.org/drains-first8.html
https://jimmyhalfway.blogspot.com/201...n-runcorn.html

Regardless, I'm pretty set on some sort of storm drain. So, more concepting tomorrow, or if I get confident, perhaps I'll start the actual model.
We shall see!
Regardless, I'm going to go for a current-gen gaming polycount and specs. I'll probably put it into UDK if I have time, too, for my final pictures.
But, getting a bit ahead of myself!
Update tomorrow.

Attached Images

www.joopson.com
# 10 08-03-2011 , 12:46 PM
Lifetime Member
good idea mate...if you want to know about drains/sewers etc Im your man...1: I have laid pipes in all forms from sewer to drainage, water mains, gas main etc etc...and Im a Surveyor...so I know where they go and what they do...sizes needed if scale is what you want etc...anyway good idea...creepy environment...alligator as well?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 11 11-03-2011 , 06:22 AM
As much as I hate (love) to use my second favorite game as a loose reference, I really must.
So, some screenshots from Oblivion showing a sewage opening.
Will post some real progress this weekend. School. Blegh!

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 12 11-03-2011 , 07:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks ok..the only crit I have is that it doesnt seem to be sewer....more like drainage pic....sewer has a chase in it...and drainage doesnt usually have a flat floor like the one shown...but hey its only fun I suppose...luckily for us the game DOES give you a pipe big enough to walk down LOL cos the new ones are usually no bigger than a 1M...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 13 14-03-2011 , 05:21 AM
Making slow progress on this. I apologize- between school (3D modeling for that, in addition to character design, and 2D animation), so I'm busy as a busy thing.
Regardless, playing around with ideas. Once I get settled, it shouldn't be a problem to complete it in no time.

At this point, just really testing out some normal mapping techniques, because I always get seams. So, ignore that the bricks are too far apart, too soft, et cetera. I realize- it's just practice, haha.

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 14 19-03-2011 , 07:58 PM
So, between school finals, moving to a different apartment complex, the possibility of a major Earthquake, and more, the possibility of a cloud of radiation descending over California, not to mention leaving LA in a week on the 26th for a week, I haven't gotten any chance to work on this.
I'm still going to try- but as it stands, I may not finish. Depending on how my homework for finals go this week, I may get to work some more on it. And I may get to work on it between the 26th and whenever this ends. We'll see- no promises. This challenge couldn't have been in a worse month, haha.
Ah, this sucks- I really did want to do this challenge....
But if next month has an awesome challenge, it'll be a new school quarter, and I'll have very little work for a while. So, it would be lovely to have another challenge similar to this (i.e. modeling.)
Ah, I'll keep on a lookout next month.
Until then, I may work on this here and there if I get fed up with my finals- but again, no promises.

I'm gonna go cry in the bathroom, haha.
(not really, but I am disappointed.)
(I mean, who cries in the bathroom)
(...)

www.joopson.com
# 15 19-03-2011 , 10:12 PM
Lifetime Member
brave people cry in the bathroom...brave

bullet1968