SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Competitions / Previous Challenges (Archives) / New Challenge: Favorite Toys - $500 1st Prize!

Previous Challenges (Archives) Previous Challenges on Simply Maya.

Join the conversation. Reply to post
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

03-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
mastone
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Quote:
Original photo is not required. Interpretations are allowed it could be a stylized version of what you remember as your favorite toy.
-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)

Quote:
This challenge is about the model. It must be textured and lit but the environment it's in will not count in the judging.
A turntable of the finished model is also encouraged but not required.
Think something like this.
-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?

Again sorry for being a pain, but better safe than sorry
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
David
SM Site Programmer

Quote:
Can I model a plastercine model that I made? I want to model 'plastercine' but just modelling a block of it would be a bit boring.
Yes this would be fine interesting take on the challenge actually

David
03-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
David
SM Site Programmer

Quote:
-But it has to look like a toy right? ( I mean shading wise)
-So it has to stay in the real? ( no aliens kicking earth around ...)
Has to be a real toy yes. You could try for photorealism or go for a more toon shader style, we leave that to you.

Quote:
-So basically toy refers to toy as in the model not the topic/keyword ,so you can make a lego castle, but not a baby sitting in the middle of a city playing with skyscrapers as if it were his boxes to play with?
A Lego castle would be fine if Lego is your favorite toy form childhood then just modeling a Lego brick would be pretty boring

And yes it's an actual toy we want.

Dave
03-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
David
SM Site Programmer

Quote:
Second thoughts on entering... 2 months is too long for me and the prizes are too major... I know, sounds crazy. I'll cheer everyone on from the sidelines .
It does sound crazy lol just join in at the end of month 1 there is no start date

Dave
03-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
Jay
Lead Modeler - Framestore

stwert get in there mate

Jay
03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #21
elephantinc
Level 32 pachyderm

Quote:
That's a cool idea elephantinc... I think it would hinge on getting the shader just right.
That's the fun. I want to work on my rendering.
I'm in then.
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Haha... if inspiration hits, maybe I'll put together an entry. When I'm in a challenge, I tend to put all the other projects and tutorials and things on hold, which I want to get working on at some point
So dedicating 2 whole months to a single project is a lot. I know I don't have to, but I know my tendencies pretty well, a) I'm competitive, b) bigger prizes, more pressure, c) I prefer doing it for fun and learning d) if I get bogged down with a project, I tend to procrastinate rather than switch projects or push through...
Okay, enough life story and psychoanalysis... if inspiration hits, I'll maybe submit an entry.
03-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
eye_grafix
Unser Joker

I'm in to - I really like the idea of modeling a toy - really great.
And with this prices there will be a lot of entries - this could be real fun :-).
---Peace---
03-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
bullet1968
Lifetime Member

I will see how I go...as a bush baby my toy was a stick...LOL...now thats a good model

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
03-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #25
Chirone
Subscriber

you should do a plush kangaroo and i'll do the wooden buzzy bee :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
bullet1968
Lifetime Member

bahahahah chirone...thats a good idea....sadly the only roo's I had as a kid in the bush...were on the BBQ...he he he he

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
04-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #27
Gen
Super Moderator

Did a blog post about this new challenge and the previous one . Also I'm asking, RockyMills, Tweety, and Stwert if I can add their images in the post instead of just links to the forum. Hopefully they see this.
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::
04-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Sure, fine by me.
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #29
Jay
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Ahh pity Im not allowed to enter this is a great challenge. I would have modelled my old thunderbird 2 die-cast toy by dinky toys, complete with plastic Thunderbird 4!!

Jay
04-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
bullet1968
Lifetime Member

Thunderbirds...ssssssswwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt tttttttttt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3