Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 121 13-10-2005 , 08:47 AM
set driven keys for rotationXYZ in the bind pose. bent the knee around 90 degrees, tweaked the 3 influence objects and keyed them again. now when coming back to bind pose those influence objects don´t look like they should. I guess transformNode is keyed correctly but it seems like the verts didn´t get keyed.

I wont be angry if someone could give me a hint cause I have really no idea.

Attached Images

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 122 13-10-2005 , 11:08 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Falott

SDK on one rotate axis only would probably be better as I think you'll find Maya will get confused with what to deform and what way to do it. This is why I prefer a wrap deformer. Create blends for one axis per corrective shape. Its a lot easier

Best Regards
Jay

# 123 13-10-2005 , 11:27 AM
if you say so Jay. I´d really liked to create those little influence objects. cause it´s only a matter of some minutes + tweaking also some view minutes... if this program would just do what iT GETs PAID FOR!!!

I fear creating blendshapes is more time intensive.. but maybe it´s time to simply try now.

thx!

# 124 13-10-2005 , 04:29 PM
Hey Falott

Oh dont get me wrong, you dont need to create tons of shapes. If you have a good amount of geometry on the joints and weight the wrap deformer as best you can, you can actually get away with just that without the shapesuser added image But Ive found blends are best for me. Yeah the set up is a bit more intensive with SDKs on the joints to drive each shape, but its an industry norm, to do this. Especially on creature rigs. Plus the results are far more realistic. The only other alternative is to have a muscle rig like on Gollum, no weights as such. J.Schleifer spoke about I/Os on 3d Buzz ages, but didnt really give the impression as being that good

I dont know if you are aware but, for digital characters, there are usually more than one version in a production, each set up in a different way to perform different tasks. Matrix2 is the best example, with that fight in the square with Neo and Smith.

But...have you tried the muscle tk plugin? Ive seen it in action just awsome. You can use real muscle or dynamic skin muscles. One has the muscle under the skin and the other is just the skin imitating the muscle. Both are just brilliant. If you are a user of Unlimited, then this plugin is a snip at the price of around $100. Damn cheap!!

Cheers
Jay

# 125 13-10-2005 , 07:02 PM
the muscleTK plugin. yes, I tried it once. but then decided to lern "ordinary" rigging first, cause I think it´s important to before get to know the standard proceedings than try using some special design stuff -

because I wouldn´t recognize its benefits I guess. muscleTK seemed to be very cool, but first - maya standard tools. so..

Io dumped the weighted geometry cause when making blendshapes I think it´s better to have arms, legs, feet, head and so on separated. I´ll bind the body parts to the skeleton again and try with those scary blendshapes.

nevertheless, I´m wondering why those damn SDKs didn´t work..?

# 126 13-10-2005 , 08:04 PM

cause I think it´s important to before get to know the standard proceedings

Absolutely!! Your on the level I like, learn the hard way first then chill out out on the cool stuff.

As far as you SDKs go, make sure you select the driver last befor you hit the last 'key' phase;

1/ select driver
2/select driven
3/key
4/Change attributes to be driven ie; joints rotation
5/Select Driver
6/Key

I do this all the time but can never remember when I write it, so I hope its right!!user added image

Best
Jay

# 127 13-10-2005 , 08:33 PM
thx Jay. I guess i slowly get to know what´s goin on here. because I have poseButtons on my shelve I only saw different endpose, no inbetween motion. played around with her now... user added image and recognized the SDK does not goe conform with the hipJoint.rotZ but with something else I can´t definitly pin down, but its more like the ankle´s rotZ drives the influence objects, hm..

this model is ik-rigged and the hip´s Z-rotation drives the influencer movement. but maybe because hipJoint has weird rotationvalues cause IK and is also kind of influenced from IK´s effector placed at the ankle (ankle Z-rotation drives the influencer-motion) Maya is

confused with what to deform and what way to do it. This is why I prefer a wrap deformer.

I didn´t take you serious at first. why should a program be confused? But I believe in what you said and try with blendshapes now!

kind regards
dani

# 128 13-10-2005 , 08:41 PM
LOL, thats okay!

I was just looking at my Maya manuals and the shapes or IOs are all driven by one axis. I dont know how it would react to more than one IO in say the hip, but you could drive one with the RX and the other on RZ. Just a thought before you start on another way

Jay

# 129 13-10-2005 , 08:54 PM
allready tried with all three rotXYZ. too thought about disabling IKblend for SDK, but nope. here is the file if you might want to have a look at it some time. it´s maya6.5. but for me is giving it up on SDK for more than simple stuff.

good night!

---edit---
didn´t want to it´s about 2.5mb
whatsoever!

thx for your help Jay and have a nice time!

# 130 14-10-2005 , 06:57 AM
Hey Falott
Post it to me via my own email, address is in my profile

Jay

# 131 14-10-2005 , 08:22 AM
couldn´t find it (exept this automatic forwarding option on simplymaya.com). I sent it to your adress from outlaws3d.

again, I really appreciate your help. if you ever need someone to clean up your basement or something -> just let me know!

# 132 14-10-2005 , 05:17 PM
Cheers I got it
Jay

# 133 14-10-2005 , 05:34 PM
Falott

Please can you send as an .ma instead of .mb I use v6 of maya so will need to convert it in word

Cheers
Jay

# 134 20-10-2005 , 08:00 PM
do you people know GOA music? the last few days I have been busy with work on a flyer for a big and loud christmas party. in my opinion the title is kind of childish - as always with those goa fraggles, hehe! but anyways - so I tried to make the design as elfish as the title is.

wings done with maya, everything else with photoshop. for the elfe I took a picture of my wife.

cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

# 135 21-10-2005 , 03:32 PM
GOA !!! trance psicadelic journey in your mind user added image i love it.

Good work user added image

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship