Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-01-2007 , 10:40 AM
Subscriber

Weathered rocks

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone would answer a few questions about making old weathered rocks, like masonry bricks. I have been using the sculpt geometry tool and they kinda look like needed erasers… How much of this would texture and bump mapping fix? I just want to make the modeling “look right” and so far little luck. Thanks in advance.

Peace,
MoonRender_2

P.S. and yes I know there's no hole for the well...*laugh*

Attached Thumbnails

"We love people for their perfections but stay with them forever for their faults"
# 2 17-01-2007 , 01:04 PM
it depends on what the model is being used for, etc...

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 17-01-2007 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
go to import in the sculpt surfaces tool options and import a texture to the selected face or surface, surface I think, its been a while?? and you will have instant rough surface, depends on what texture you pick, say, a texture of granite or bark, mud, something like that, you might even try stone user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 20-01-2007 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
Joopson: the model is being used for a render with a flyby. This is going to be a highpoly render. I hope that's what you meant.

mirek03: you kinda lost me, I know of the sculpt geometry tool but not the one you mentioned. Do you know where it might be hiding? I'm working on Maya 8 by the way, thanks.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Peace,
MoonRender_2

"We love people for their perfections but stay with them forever for their faults"
# 5 20-01-2007 , 04:05 PM
haha, yeah, thats what i meant.......
check out Zbrush if you can, but if thats out of the question try just using (as you said) bump maps...:headbang:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 20-01-2007 , 04:17 PM
Since its justa fly bye a good texture with a bump and spec should do you fine. Z bruxh in my ming would be a bit over doing it, unless its a key componant in the scene

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 20-01-2007 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
Okay, So I don't really have to do much with the actual shape. You're saying that most of the realism will come in the texturing faze? Out of curiosity, what is this zbrush that you mentioned?
We are going for a profession quality render here in the end so I'm trying to learn everything and every trick that I can. Thanks for all of the replies, you guys are a great help!

Peace,
MoonRender_2:attn: