Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-01-2010 , 01:40 AM

How to use misss_fast_skin

Hi there

I am new to Maya an have a special interest in 3D head modelling and photorealistic human animation. I would like to know whether misss_fast_skin can be used alone and assigned directly on a head mesh without a Lambert or Blinn or Phong shader accompanying. I tried it but I got a blank render on Mental Ray. Also how do I assign the bump map with misss_fast_skin if I do not have any other shader like Blinn or Lambert? (If I can't, then I definitely have to use misss_fast_skin with one of the other primary shaders such as Blinn, Lambert or Phong, don't I ? Also can I do assign a texture file to misss_fast_skin or do I need to do it to a Blinn, Lambert or Phong shader and then combine it with misss_fast_skin (which then answers my above question that misss_fast_skin cannot be used alone) ?

Many thanks for all your help!

# 2 11-01-2010 , 01:40 PM
The thin red line
Hi
I dont think you can use sss skin without a shader, the bump map you link to the shader the texture maps you link to sss skin, there is a free tutorial at the gnomonworkshop. I did use it once see (WIP head model) need to work at it........dave

# 3 11-01-2010 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
I am also looking for a good skin guild with this shadder or another, just not that long winded gnomon one which put me to sleep (no joke - I feel asleep watching it)

# 4 11-01-2010 , 04:33 PM
The thin red line
digitaltutorials do another on the group of ss shaders has 3 section on fast skin not so long winded but you have to pay............dave

# 5 11-01-2010 , 05:34 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 12-01-2010 , 02:10 AM

Thanks all

Hi everyone

Thank ya all for your great replies.

Actually, I had already done a previous 3D head using Blinn and Dr Julian's technique of layering skins in Photoshop and then UV-ing it into Maya. I put a Fractal bump map on Lambert and rendered a close-up. Looks great (I'll try to post it later) but I dunno...the skin looks great with the red spots and all (I used Nagel's skin brushes) but it still looks "plastic-ky".

That's why I went on to misss_fast_skin. Now that I know it can't be used alone (thanks dave!), I'll try combining it with Lambert. I've already done it (combining misss_fast_skin with Labert on a head mesh but still "not quite satisfied" with the photorealism. I guess I'll try tweaking it some more.

Thanks guys!

# 7 12-01-2010 , 02:14 AM

tweety tunes, can i see some of your work?

tweety tunes, can i see some of your work?

# 8 12-01-2010 , 03:48 AM
Technical Director
Did you take a look at the link I posted?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.