Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-09-2003 , 01:26 PM

Finding jobs - really so difficult?

Yeah... Something like me fifth post here... user added image

Just talked about that with, well, with my girlfriend, and
she thinks, no... She were told that many, lets say digital artists, are jobless...
Is that true? I´m young enough to concentrate on
another job, but.... You know, I would prefer that...

So, if anyone knows more about that, help me in my situation... user added image

And sorry if that thread already exists...
And sorry for my bad ebglisch... Erm... English...

Add me please
(I want to improve both english AND 3d skills)
MSN: Bryce5@gmx.net
# 2 06-09-2003 , 01:39 PM
Its hard to break in.....once you get your name out there a bit it becomes easier..... Comes down to how much you want it and then put your heart and soul into it.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 06-09-2003 , 02:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
It can be difficult, but I think what I've come to understand is that the real situation is that the vast majority of "artists" out there, really aren't that good. 1 out of 10 are fresh out of art school where they spent the last 2 to 4 years learning basic 3D, spitting out cookie-cutter demos.

Since managing to get my job, I've been able to see many demo reels that have come in, and truthfully, the vast majority are just really mediocre at best.

If you're good, eventually, you'll get a job. That's what it boils down to.

I hunted a job for 3 years. During that time, my improvements between year 1 and year 3 were mind boggling, even to me. And at the end of that period of practicing and improving, I got a job. Sure, you'll probably need to take a "normal" job in the mean time, but as long as you keep improving and getting better, eventually, perhaps years from now, but eventually, you'll get in, if you're good.

That might be discouraging, but I think of it as encouraging. Encouraging you to continue to practice and improve and keep on trucking.

# 4 06-09-2003 , 02:16 PM
Well, for me it wasn´t discouraging. user added image

And I guess, I almost know ( user added image ), that it´s a diffrence what exactly to do, right?
Yes, of course... So, Character Designer, Compositer, etc...
Or do you wanna work for movies or for games!
I would prefer to do something for movies...

Know any requirements for that? Or is that maybe more difficult
than get into the games industrie?

Add me please
(I want to improve both english AND 3d skills)
MSN: Bryce5@gmx.net
# 5 06-09-2003 , 02:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
From what I understand, film is more difficult, mostly because there's more game studios than there is film studios, so the competition is more fierce.

There's also the nature of the industry. Depending on what CG company you get with, once a movie or whatever has completed, if you don't have the next one lined up already, you're quickly out of work, and hunting again.

I can't say from experience, though. I've not worked in the film industry. I considered it briefly, but such working conditions is one of the reasons I went to games instead.

But in any case, my previous statement is true for both games and film... If you're good, you'll get a job somewhere. Be prepared to have to move. If you're not good, keep practicing and improving until you are. user added image

# 6 06-09-2003 , 02:24 PM
I just wanted to jump in with my own question in regards to jobs in the 3D industry; Does a degree help? Does sitting in a classroom for 3 years really give you a better jump at the industry, or can someone without a degree, yet theyve figured it all out for themselves, still have a good shot?

# 7 06-09-2003 , 02:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
The ONLY requirement (at least, as far as I've managed to tell in my 3 year job hunt) is to be GOOD.

Now, in pursuit of being good, schooling can help, but that's all it is. A means to meet an end. If you feel that you can get perfectly good on your own, have at it. In my opinion, schooling is a good thing. It will speed you up on your road to becoming "good."

As I stated before, one of the problems with everyone not finding jobs, is most are fresh out of school.

1 out of, maybe 100 get a job straight out of school. How? They were better than EVERYONE else. Again, how? They practically LIVED at the school. Not everyone is literally able to do that. After graduating from school, prepare to spend time building a portfolio of your own projects, rather than school projects. Prepare to continue to improve yourself by utilizing the knowledge you were taught.

# 8 06-09-2003 , 02:41 PM
Both areas have there own unique needs.

I my self tend to lean towards animation and high res models more for movies, but I do know low poly and cycles. I just have to work on my photoshop for texturing low poly=)

Right now it seems to be easier to get jobs in the game indusrty.

requirements for the games

MODELING
Great low poly modeling, understanding of uv's and photoshop

ANIMATION

good sence of timing and weight in just a few frames.
Able to rig well.

MOVIES

Modeling

High res modeling skills. understaning of anatomy, photoshop awesome texture creation.

Animation

Able to convey realistic movment weight over an extended period of time, while keeping the performance as exciting as you can.

Jump between cartoon styles and real life styles.

Able to rig and bind

Facial aniamtion

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 9 06-09-2003 , 02:44 PM
The Maya Mountain
I would tend to think movies would be more specialized than even games.

At the game studio I work at, all of the artists have to model, texture, rig, and animate (although, we've not gotten to the rigging/animating portion of the development schedule yet.. gotta model all the stuff, first. user added image ).

From what I understand of film jobs, you've got your modelers, texturers, riggers, animators, etc. My current Art Director was once hired at Fox Animation Studios to be a modeler. Only a modeler. No texturing or anythng else involved.

I suppose it really depends on the studio, though.

# 10 06-09-2003 , 02:48 PM
As far as school goes i have a degree in Fine art and a animation diploma in maya.

I find my traditional art skills help me emensly when it comes to modeling and understanding form and line.

But a person can develope these skills on there own as well, might take a bit of work.

If you wan to be a modeler focus on learning to see line, shape and form.

Animation study how a people move... what joints affect others and so on

# 11 06-09-2003 , 02:50 PM
Ya mike every studio is different.

# 12 06-09-2003 , 07:28 PM
user title spammer
i don´t think schools help you very much ... at least not 3D schools ...
(never been to one - maybe i am talking rubbish) ...

they take a lot of money, but they can´t give you the only thing you need in all arts - creativity

i would rather recommend - as said above - traditional arts, like study history of art and so on ...

if the stuff you make has character and is able to impress ... go for it, if not ...

)i´m very sorry for my english(

Last edited by train_ucl; 06-09-2003 at 07:31 PM.
# 13 06-09-2003 , 07:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
of course, a school won't give you talent. Like any artistic medium, 3D art requires it. Schooling would be useful in teaching the technical side of it, though.

My opinion, of course. And I did go to a 3D school. I would even say it was not a very good one at the time, but I still gained quite a bit of headway by attending.

# 14 06-09-2003 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Looking at this forum is like looking at my own thoughts for the last year. I am hoping to build a good profolio and ask for internship, since most of the jobs out there want least two years experience. Anyone think internship is a good idea?

# 15 06-09-2003 , 09:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
Couldn't hurt.