Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-01-2009 , 09:27 PM

Align vertice to edge

Hello. I'm modeling a car but I'm having problems with the side windows. Ofcourse I'd like the windows to have a flat sloping surface. However the "snap to edge" feature doesnt work exactly how I'd like it to. I first select the one axis, which corresponds to the direction I'd like to move it, and then hold down "c" and middle mouse click on the edge. Problem is the vertice is aligning EXACTLY where I click.
What i want is to snap the vertice only in X position so that it aligns perfectly to the edge and the Z axis would pierce through that edge. How do I solve this?

# 2 31-01-2009 , 09:42 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Select the vertex, press W , click on the axis you want to move making it yellow, now press V and middlemouseclick and drag your mouse over to the vertex you want to snap to.
As far as I know there is no edge snap or midpointsnap like in Max
hope this helpsuser added image

# 3 02-02-2009 , 07:24 PM
Thank you for the quick answer. However I already knew about that and use it alot, unfortunately that's not helping me in this case.