Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-05-2012 , 07:06 PM

How to complete the hand topology for a game model

I have gone this far on retopologizing a game char. I have gone through many resources on how to make the hand topology but all seems to be different depending on the modeller.

I attached a far camera screen to show the edge flow through hands. The other attachments are showing the close up topo of the hand. No triangles so far... I don't have animating experience and planning to learn rigging and animating when i complete this model. Considering my zero experience on animating, could you please show me how to complete this hand model. If you could draw the edges and show me how to complete this part i would be glad. I can't decide where to put my triangles here... I am sorry for the large images, i thought it would be the best in this case to attach them on my message instead of pasting links.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-05-2012 , 09:05 PM
The thin red line
Not to sure that this paint over is good for animation, sorry about the wiggly lines not drunk enough beeruser added image............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 24-05-2012 , 09:14 PM
user added image) Wish i had a couple of beers with me right now. Solving this is a p.i.t.a ! Mine looks like this now... I would try your low quad ver too... Mine has a bit more quads since i added an extra edge loop there. I guess i will try to get a decent normal map and see how it will go in the animation process.

Open for more suggestions though...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-05-2012 , 09:18 PM
The thin red line
The best thing to do is look at some other game models from the game engine you will be using as you might find that tri are use a lot.............dave