Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-12-2012 , 06:14 PM

How do you remove material/shader/color..

..without the mesh turning green?

I was just experimenting and made a mistake a saving the material I had applied to the mesh.

I went to window>rendering editors>hypershade and deleted the associated blinn but it only turns the mesh green. Help? user added image

# 2 17-12-2012 , 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
A shading group is needed for geometry to be renderable, hence the reason the lambert1 cannot be deleted. Assign it to the object, then you can delete whatever shading group you made. Hypershade makes shader swapping easy, simply right click the shader you want to delete and choose 'select objects with material', then right click the shader you want to assign and select 'assign material to selection'.

- Genny
# 3 17-12-2012 , 09:01 PM

A shading group is needed for geometry to be renderable, hence the reason the lambert1 cannot be deleted. Assign it to the object, then you can delete whatever shading group you made. Hypershade makes shader swapping easy, simply right click the shader you want to delete and choose 'select objects with material', then right click the shader you want to assign and select 'assign material to selection'.

Hi there thanks for the reply. I followed these steps but when I press delete it deletes the whole mesh.

# 4 17-12-2012 , 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
The steps listed were for switching the shader currently used by the object for the default lambert1 for example. Then you can safely select the shader and delete it.

- Genny