Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-08-2003 , 02:18 AM

Anatomy: hands

This is the final model of some male hands I was working on over the past few weeks. Really just trying to get a fuller understanding of all the creases, proportions and edges so I can start modeling more realistic ones. I left it untextured on purpose, cause my texturing skills aren't that great and I'm trying to work more on my modeling skills at the moment. Later on I'll make a texturing project out of it.

So here is a couple of views of the final deal. Next I'm going to try and make a leaner, mroe feminine version and also try and reduce the edge count of possible.

user added image

My Gallery of Previous Work
# 2 29-08-2003 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
VERY NICE

# 3 29-08-2003 , 04:42 AM

# 4 29-08-2003 , 01:10 PM
it's really nice, can we see a wire as well please? Only comment i have is that there arent enough wrinkles on the palm of the hand but I guess that could be done with texturing later

user added image
alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 29-08-2003 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
Very nice indeed...

But... as Pure_morning said... there aren't enough wrinkles in the palm of the hand... It's too smooth, and that goes for the top of the hand too.

But ... it really looks great.

whatever!
# 6 29-08-2003 , 02:32 PM
Thanks for your comments folks, I appreciate your thoughts. You're right of course about the smoothness of the hands. But my decision was to only model the major wrinkes in the hand, and leave the subtler stuff to bump mapping. So now if I rig the hand I can get it to fold in the creases where I want, rather than just anywhere. Hence why only the major ceases are modeled. Here's a wire of the final scene:

user added image

My Gallery of Previous Work
# 7 23-09-2003 , 09:31 PM
amazing!!! (hits self in the head!! i need to get good like that!!)

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 8 23-09-2003 , 09:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
It might just be light catching it weirdly, but the middle wrinkle on the palm looks a little off. Cool stuff!

# 9 27-09-2003 , 07:53 AM

WOW