Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-03-2005 , 10:27 PM

rendering hair with mental ray

Hi,

can anyone please help me with rendering hair with mental ray? I am writing a hair shader for mental ray but since I'am pretty new to Maya, I cannot manage to render hair with my own (or in fact any other) shader. It works fine with primitive geometry, but I would like to use the mental ray built-in hair geometry. So I tried to use fur first. It works fine with mental ray, but I cant assign any other shader, than the default one. And I also tried to use Paint Hair. This one does not render with mental ray at all, unless I convert it to polygons.
So if anyone has a clue, I would really appreciate any help.
Many thanks!

Anton

# 2 24-03-2005 , 05:03 PM
Subscriber
the hair system is not supported with MR. The only way around this is through a plugin which at the moment I cannot remember the name of.

# 3 03-10-2005 , 11:19 AM

oops

Maya 7 can render hair, easy as pie, infact better than before.