Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 166 12-03-2006 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber
Tim, you might have me there. Crocodile Dundee?? Can't remember it was so far removed from reality, it was all myth based. Was the black guy on equal terms or was he 'hey, master, me help you plenty big white fella, us black fellas find you bush tucker.' Be that as it may, Paul Hogan has his faults like we all do but i wouldn't be surprised if he was the only guy to do it. He came from a working class, blue collar, background and paid his dues painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge so it's possible he is very aware of class distinction.

here is another example; at my university there are people from ALL countries but NO indigenous people, NONE, maybe one for a token gesture that I haven't seen ?? but I don't think so. They dont have the money for it and their upbringing is tragic and so there is little education early in life that can lead to uni. i left school at 15 but still got into uni, but somehow the indigenous are troubled by societies whim and so they rarely make, or know they CAN make a decision like I did to try and do the SATAC test for mature age students. Whether the uni would let them in?? The government lends us working class the money to get through uni and so they want to see that we finish and get our degree so we can pay them back. With the indigenous people life is always on the edge, police, abuse, alcohol and more recently drugs, incest, you name it they have a problem with it. sure some slip through this net and things are changing, but slowly. There are always exceptions but I'm speaking 99%.

very sad stuff.

my movie, it will be live action. If I need CG elements I will put them in but no, it is live and the buddy movie will have to wait until I get a bit more experience, The one i am doing now is ex- positional doco style that shows a Japanese girl arriving at an airport, unable to speak the language or make sense of the signs on the walls, The sound will be disorientating as it would be to arrive in a country where the language has no familier melody to it, just a murmur, everything about the movie is about disorientation and isolation, mixed with fear and excitement of the unknown future. there will be room there for CG, definitely, and I ave a good morphing app too.

If your girl friend wants to know anything about here, ask me, I'll try and back up my words with reference material, whether the local paper or the uni library, No problem there, it's a pleasure.user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 167 12-03-2006 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
Such a gentlemen user added image

I don't know the exact role of the black guy in Crocodile Dundee it had to be said.

I wish you luck with film, how will you get it to the masses?

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 168 13-03-2006 , 03:33 AM

Ernie and sandman

The black guy from Crocodile Dundee was Ernie Dingo, who spent some time on the stand up comedy circuit before the movie and has lately been a host on a world travel tv show. Ernie married himself a nice white blonde girl and has little blonde children. go figure... He is a bloody nice bloke too.
And in continuation of how to kill sandman (spidermans rival) just do what they do to nuclear waste now, cover it in sand and put enough electricity through it that it turns into glass.

I am not good enough at playing with maya to call her my mistress but my soon to be 1 yr old baby girl is under my desk trying to detatch my systems cables. My missus just thinks I am a computer addict, but computers are interactive and controllable so I can press escape and walk away and start over where I left off, but you try and get her to do anything else during McLeods Daughters or ER and I will show you an addiction....lol.

# 169 13-03-2006 , 04:32 AM
Subscriber
there's mixed feelings about Ernie, especially amongst the indiginous commuity.

Like I said there are a few who slipped through the net, there are always exceptions, but I don't see ernie doing ANYTHING for the indiginous community except fo his token role on the travel show, as about as important poitically as his token role in Crocadile Dundee??:zzz: considering the seriousness of this subject and the way it is swept under the carpet.?? Ernies on par with Arers Rock and kankaroos.., a myth created for the benifit of those with their eyes closed or those who see Australia through a TV screen.

another who slipped through the net...is...

you want to see a real actor, a real indiginous person doing it for his people; David Gulliup, (you'll see him as the tracker in 'rabbit proof fence', ) done many movies since a boy, a ledgend, but lives in a humpy with his people in the bush and cares little for the world of the whites. his people suffer terribly. they are very nice people, but the white community fears them as they beg for 'got a couple of bob mate?'. people cross the streets, it is common, any ozzy will back up what I'm saying. Australia is a very racist, class consious place. also a nice place too despite that side of it.

there are a few other unsung indiginous heroes in the political system, but Ernie..user added image $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $

# 170 13-03-2006 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
how do I get it to the masses, tim, yu know, the second piont is 'is it a good product' the first piont is 'who do you know.' Australia is a small world, especially the film community. Some of the people I grew up with,when film wasn't even thought of by us, have won emmys, they all said they would help. I'm basically a musician and a travellor who has to buckle down now for the future. Film is relatively new to me. Be that as it may, a good product will be noticed, it's up to my ability.

# 171 14-03-2006 , 12:21 AM

hmm?

But it is 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. What has Russell Crowe or Eddie Maguire done for their communities? They got rich and bought a footy team each. When push come to shove people are looking out for themselves. My missus said when some yank won 100 million in the lotto that they could make 99 other people happy by giving them 1 million each. I then asked if she won the powerball 22 mill would she give 21 mill away? No she would give maybe 2... so good intentions are fine when other people have to make the sacrifices. Eddie may be considered a sell out but that is what people choose to do to get what they want in the world. Sharon Stone said you can only sleep your way to the middle you need talent to get to the top.
If you want a scheme to make it big do what the guy from WILM FM did. He had a community FM licence in Sydney but instead fo playing garbage and having little old ladies as compares he got quality DJ's and played top 40 music. He got granted the full time license and has made millions with CD sales and concerts and a new TV music show. There are many indiginous FM stations, they just have either decided not to sell out or just havent got the management skills to take on the big guys.
I have met indigineous people at my university, most of them have blonde hair and still get abstudy, and government funded tutors. When they graduate will they help the communities they came from? or get corporate jobs?

# 172 14-03-2006 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
I agree,what ever pops your cork my friend?! Russsel is an embarressement and fortunately a rare case in the austraian film world. Why the hell are you talking about lottery winnings has me beat. Read again and, yes, I have already mentioned that there are many very nice indiginous people but their situations are not as lucky as your indiginous friends in YOUR uni. There are NONE in MINE, that's all?! You figure. You think they get a god deal in general, you want to compare Ernie to selfish white peple?? fine? I just haven't a clue what relavence it has? I already know there are many indeiginous radio stations, websits (usmob.com.au), ect but there is a great gap between the white community in large and the black community in large. Niethe seem in a hury to recncile,Howard won'tsat 'sorr' and that does no god all round. Witness the violence of redfern riots relatively recently. That was a racial riot my friend, they were'nt rioting over the rising pertrol costs.

yes, i have also met many blonde blacks, I worked inthe shearing sheds for 6 mnths, doesn't make me an expert but I got a glimpse. If you think there s no problem here, them we must live in differant counrties. Comparing Ernie to Russel only strengthens my piont. yes, there are selfsh people everywhere. Sad!user added image

# 173 14-03-2006 , 11:15 PM

but the white community fears them as they beg for 'got a couple of bob mate?'. people cross the streets, it is common, any ozzy will back up what I'm saying. Australia is a very racist, class consious place.

In my university I have heard Japanese, Burmese, Shi Lankan, Nigerian, Papua, Korean and almost every other race badmouth the indiginous beggars. Some of these people hav e only been in OZ less than a year and the actions of a few have made them racist against the aboriginal community. Most people think racism is discriminating against someone for their colour, but from my perspective it is truly the way a particular race behaves that sets peoples viewpoints. I judge by behaviour of individuals but painting all with the same brush then becomes easier. I went to school with an aboriginal girl and a few years ago I saw her brother and his mate and gave them a lift, later that night he stole my car. I have given lifts to many races too, this is the only time I got repayed for my generousity in a bad way.
Maybe before blaming the government for how individuals act, maybe the indiginous community might set their own standards a bit higher.
Redfern started because a guy fell off his pushbike and speared himself on a fence. The indiginous community blamed the police for chasing him, that is actually their job, his job as a good citizen is supposed to follow socierys laws and values.

# 174 15-03-2006 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
strong and mixed feeling in both camps. As a film student this interests me. That's all i meant to say, not start a thread on polotics??

I definitely know what you mean but your on shaky ground, whites have stolen from me as well as blacks.
as you say, there are good and bad in all camps and one should not paint a whole community with one brush, including the white community, As far as Asians, my wife is Japanese and they, Asians, are the most racist up themselves of them all, she is also the first to admit this. (I also lived in Asia for 6 years) They probably say the same about the white Australian community as the black Australian community when your not around... but that's another story. You would be talking primarily about the Chinese, yes?! They are racist of anyone that's not Chinese, no matter what they say to your face...

The Japanese are too polite to think what they are feeling and as far as I 'm concerned the Koreans should go somewhere else because they're always on the look out for what they can get..., can you do my essay, can you get me in touch with someone who is in the business, and they always seem to have a number of victims to chose from... and all have pretty smiling faces until they realise your not 'rich' and then its 'nose up and insults...' that's my personal experience, i've been bitten too many times by the Koreans and i have never had a good expriance with one yet (the men seem OK) yours may be different and i speak only for myself and not the Australian community at large because most of them hardly know an Asian (or an indiginous person) anyway and we all experiance life in differant ways??

there is good and bad in all camps, that's what my wife and I have decided, I would like to show this in film.

# 175 15-03-2006 , 02:34 AM
On to more solvable issues. We could type for years and nothing gets better.
I did film making at uni, I think every story needs a neutral character, like switzerland, but with more lines.
Using maya you could add a small observer of the story, I always liked a venus fly trap or daisy in a pot to just turn and observe the plot unfold. People have a character to compare themselves too and see life differently when they notice a flower has a better grip on sanity than humans.

# 176 15-03-2006 , 03:26 AM
Subscriber
my friend you have just made my day. that was one of the sanist things I've heard for a while and a dam good tip for movie making also. I think we're on the same page here. Before you spoke with relative truth, words that others fear to tread here, eh! poitical correctness has people very confused about the world they see and the way one behaves in it, despite what happens around them. balance?? get the number of that truck!

when i was younger, I was idolistic...and that meant taking it every which way, now I'm more disconcerning.

another note, the informer,the nuturel character people connect with and the witness, important elements about film I had forgotten recently, great tip, agian, great tip...

# 177 15-03-2006 , 04:16 AM
Glad I could help.