Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-04-2014 , 10:28 PM

Normal radio button in Ramp texture?

Hello everyone,
I'm new maya user. For two days I've been banging my head, so I would appreciate some help user added image The thing is, that I'm working on a poly axe. On the handle I've applyed wooden texture according to the instruction of the book. For the axe's head I've also followed book instruction. But the problem is that I can't find Normal radio button in Ramp texture node and check it. So where is that button? user added image

# 2 10-04-2014 , 02:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
In the create render node dialog where you select the ramp, there used to be a set of radio buttons with Normal, 2D projection, and 2D stencil. I guess they got rid of it in newer versions because 99% of the time people wanted Normal, which I'm quite sure is already selected for you. If you want to double check you can open the hypergraph, and choose Create > 2D Textures, and at the bottom you can see the radio buttons. If necessary, you'd have to change the radio button before you created the node.

# 3 12-04-2014 , 03:06 PM
Stwert, thank you on your quick respond, but since I'm newbie I didn't ask the right question user added image. I'm creating a poly axe model and the axe's handle is mainly made out of wood and the tip is metal. So I've created two materials, metal and wood, and I put wood on top in layered shader. Also, I applyed ramp texture to control where metal ends and wood start. But the problem is that the metal is showing on the buttom of the handle instead of on top. Ramp Attributes are: Type V ramp and interpolation is set to None. So, my guess is that I should change settings for placement node for ram. But I would appreciate an advice since I would like to go on with the book that I'm reading. Oh, I almost forgot, according to the book, Ramp Attributes should be set to: Type U ramp and interpolation is set to None. Thanks in advance user added image

# 4 14-04-2014 , 06:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can just adjust the ramp so that it is white on bottom and black on top or whatever the case may be. I'm guessing it is a gray scale ramp. Trial and error is the simplest way if not the most elegant.

# 5 14-04-2014 , 11:44 PM
I actually manage to put white colour on top of my axe's handle. But when I'm pulling selected position slider in Ramp attribute to the left, white surface at the pointed end is increasing, but another white surface appears as well, and that surface is also increasing. Here's the picture. All I want is to cover just the pointed end of a handle with metal, the rest should be wood. So, I know that I'm screwing something up, I just don't know what user added image Also, I've attached picture of my hypershade, beacuse that may help as well user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by madaboutsne; 15-04-2014 at 12:03 AM.