Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-06-2006 , 06:32 PM

Problem with detaching curves.

Hello everyone, I am in the process of learning maya and i have run across a problem relating to the detach curves function as i was going through the project in my book. I have serched on the forums here and in the maya help and couldnt find what was wrong so im making this post in the hopes that soemone might have an idea what could be wrong or someone who had a similar problem might be able to help.

I am trying to model an axe with NURBS so i created a curve for the axe-head. I ended the cuve close to the first point and then had maya automatically close the curve, Since i want the cutting edge of the axe to come to a sharp point i will have to bend the curve a bit so i cannot create a planar surface. I was going to create a boundary surface by cutting the curve i made for the axe head into 4 seperate curves (top, bottom, 2 sides).

user added image

I set the four points where i want maya to cut the curves, but when i go to Surfaves > Detach Curves, this is my result

user added image

i looked in the outliner and it did in fact make four curves, however the fourth curve is extremely small.

user added image

ive tried numerous different things and i keep running into the same problem with detach curves. It seems to always delete a portion of my curve! Im totally stumped and would really appreciate any help or ideas on what my problem could be. I apologize if it is something blatantly obvious!

thanks for you time,
-matthew

# 2 12-06-2006 , 08:36 AM
well i managed to figure out what the problem was. Im posting what was wrong here so that if by some odd chance anyone has the same problem I did and comes here looking for help that they might be able to see a possible fix.

I have no clue why, but for some reason my CV curve tool was set to "1 Linear" I Changed the setting to "3 Cubic" and redrew the cuve, and then was able to detach the curves without any further problems. Really wish i would have thought to mess with that sooner!

user added image

# 3 12-06-2006 , 12:47 PM
cheers for posting the solution to your problem. user added image