Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-01-2005 , 12:46 AM

Where's the switch??

user added image

Does anyone know how to turn these brown boxes off?? They are driving me crazy.

One box shows up for every IK that I set up. Obviously it's meant to be a visual indicator but it does nothing but make it hard to see when the rig becomes very complicated. I can not find anything in the documentation or preferences that indicates that they can be turned off. I don't remember ever seeing these boxes in Maya 5 so maybe it's something new in 6. I don't know. The only way to make one of the boxes turn off is to either select the IK handle or hide the handle. You can't select the boxes at all.

I'm hoping that there IS a way to turn these things off and I'm hoping that one of you guys knows how user added image user added image :o

The only other clue I have is that the boxes might have something to do with the fact that the skeleton is bound to a skin.

Thanks

Last edited by Velusion; 08-01-2005 at 12:53 AM.
# 2 11-01-2005 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
Hey James,

I've never come across this before in either 6 or 5 with any of the rigs that I have setup. But from the your image it looks like each ik has a bounding box on. Have you looked under Display>Drawing Overrides in the Attribute Editor and see what the options say? If that doesn't work, do you think it might possible to get a copy of the file to check out what could be the possible problem?

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 3 11-01-2005 , 05:49 PM
I'll take your advice and check. If I find the problem, I'll post it here. If I can't figure it out, I could send you a copy of the skeleton to play with. I'll take a look at it tonight.. Thanks!

# 4 11-01-2005 , 08:03 PM
OK, here's what happened; those boxes appear when you set up IKs across joints that have limits on their rotation. If you set up an IK joint then set a limit on the rotation of the top joint, the box will appear. That's it!

I set max and min limits on all of the joints so that the model could not be posed in an un-natural way and also to avoid collisions between the finger tip and the palm, the lower lip and the upper lip, and things like that. Now all I have to do is "un-check" the limits and the boxes will disappear, thus leaving a cleaner working area if you're still working on the rigging.

Thanks for the help, InvaZimm.

Last edited by Velusion; 12-01-2005 at 12:02 AM.
# 5 11-01-2005 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
No problem.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein