Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-10-2002 , 06:53 AM
SM Alumni

Alternative to using a mouse

Anyone use a tablet??? or something else?

My hand is screwed with arthritis & my other is struggling with the fine motor skills. It might be easier some other way, but is there one???

gimme everything u got
# 2 21-10-2002 , 09:08 PM
used to use one. way long ago, when wacom just started up and the best graphics program i had was microsoft paint. mostly used it to play the original age of empires, hehe...

friggin tablets are expensive though. the big ones are probably the only ones actually worth getting if you have the desk space. i had a little 4x5 one. it mostly sucked.

try getting a new workspace. to hell with those $400 oak desks with cabinets and a cubbyhole for your monitor. i spent $20 on a folding table. there's room for...a 21" monitor, 19" monitor, desk lamp, keyboard, mouse, a bunch of soda cans, picture of the dog, dsl modem and router...plus a couple spindles of CDs. and LOTS of leg room.

get a decent chair and sit closer so your shoulders don't kill you. raise it to a level where your elbows and wrists are about level. oh, and check out the wireless optical 3-button wheel mouse from Logitech.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 3 21-10-2002 , 09:10 PM
i also have room for a phone, wine glass, oreos and 3 extra hard drives sitting in their cases.

if you're wondering what happened to the old serial wacom tablet, i shipped it out to Raider007 of KK fame.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 4 22-10-2002 , 04:07 AM
I have a 12x12 Wacom. I only use the tablet to paint and because of its size navigating around gets my shoulder tired, but its very accurate. Its just like using a pen or pencil. If you have problems just place it on your lap and sit upright , you'll get used to it in no time. The only downfall is when you need to do key commands and stretch for the key board. I have back problems and slumping over a keyboard and mouse can get pretty irritating so I lean back in my chair, put my feet up and use the tablet for a while. Try out one of those track mice(the ones with the big ball on top ), there not that expensive and have a ton of features.Good Luck

# 5 22-10-2002 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
you can get really cheap tablets, they work the same as big ones and also have a mouse

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 23-10-2002 , 02:00 PM

I have a 12x12, you can map portions of the screen so you don't have to stretch so far.

Last edited by blip; 23-10-2002 at 02:02 PM.