Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 16-07-2007 , 05:18 AM
Yeah weve got a copy on the server that we can use, its not got xtreme though, shame! Great progreamme to use very easy plus when you get a nice environment you can export to HD, and OBJ with textures, without using extreeme then render in mentalray, if you need to give me a shout if you need a HDR for a "basic feel" of a place i.e. sunny, rainey, stormy, etc etc can custom it for ya!

I'm Tied up re-learning c++ and using a great image recognition software to do some funkey stuff, cant talk about it publicly as its uni stuff, although in about 6 months I might be asking your input!!

What I menat was the Fur nodes you had on some scenes you had, did you get them sorted???

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 47 16-07-2007 , 05:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sorry mate, thought it was a typo.

I did on one model but its not a worry now, I have a workaround. But I wish I knew how to get rid of those damn nodes still

cheers
Jay

# 48 16-07-2007 , 12:56 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
where's the balrog:p ( when i saw the crater scene it just reminded me of the lord of the rings).
the spaceship looks very impressive, did you have some conceptart/sourceimages to go from or did you wing it.
kutgwuser added image

# 49 16-07-2007 , 03:27 PM
Balrog - so yesterday LOL

Mastone, I never wing it, I always draw out what Im about to make. Always prepared

_J

# 50 16-07-2007 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
Yeah that chair looks stunning now user added image haha nice looking environment so far aswell... cant wait for it to be finished,

Oh btw, hows outlaw-tales going?

MJ

# 51 16-07-2007 , 04:29 PM
Marlon John

Cheers.

Im currently rendering a final shot for the next page, so tomorrow night that should be online. But otherwise go check it out, I like the hit counts LOL

best
Jay

# 52 17-07-2007 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
Looks good It reminds me of a star wars game..

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 53 17-07-2007 , 09:32 PM
Cool

Jay

# 54 18-07-2007 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
hi.., you never wing it! So you do a drawing on the puter or paper and then look at it and decide which is the best approach knowing what you do about nurbs, polys, sub-Ds?

your characters?? how do you decide? do you see someone in the street as an influence or just play around with shapes? your objects, I know you are inspired by things such as the old vintage speed planes and translate them into something near unrecognizable.., is this par for the course for you? OR.., again, do you sometimes play with shapes. I ask, because palying with shapes never works for me.

this is something I have thought about lately. It seems every piont where one joins the dots is very carefully planned in the world of media from the size and colour of a background door frame (vector) to the volume of a tea cup (sound design). Makes sense this side of production, animation and matt, would and must be prepared to minute details.., not to just jump on maya or AE and hope one can create a masterpiece!

correct?

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 55 18-07-2007 , 02:04 AM
Mirek

Absolutely. Does a house get built without a plan? course not. I dont think 'winging it' is good practice. It wouldn't happen in a big production house, so why do it generally, its just a lazy approach.

I always sketch something first, usually it starts as a rough doodle in ink, and yes the shape or silohuette has to be 'found' in those early stages. I'll then build it up and create a more detailed version. Sometimes, though rarely the particular piece may not always go as planned in 3d, for whatever reason, so sometimes a bit of revision is required to make the puzzle fit. These days though Im not willing to compromise personal work as much so it has to work from the offset in the design.

characters, I lean toward stereo types or iconic figures then put a twist on them. I find thinking outside the box more interesting as few people go there. I do study people as a matter of course as well even my friends, right down to their nuances.

All types of vehicles or animals inspire the design of things too, even if its not immediate. I did an interview recently explaining how taking a bite out of a piece of bread inspired a vehicle I have had planned, so it comes in many weird and wonderful forms, not just the obvious eg; another 'mech' or another girl with big breasts and a rather humungous gun, though these are fun to do LOL

cheers
Jay

# 56 18-07-2007 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
a very succinct and informed answer and very much appreciated

Muser added image

# 57 20-07-2007 , 05:05 PM
Thought I'd drop this in too save starting a new thread

Jay

user added image

# 58 20-07-2007 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
thats a mean dude.., a great example of character design.

# 59 21-07-2007 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
Now that's a face only a mother can love user added image That's a good thing in this case.
The lower lip is bugging me or is the jaw dislocated sideways slightly? It feels like the lower lip needs to be pushed in quite a bit, so that the upperlip protrudes more than the lower lip. Might be the angle too or the shader. It's a little blurry in that area. It's a tough call as the jaw gives him very much character too.

It's a wip but the sterno-mastoid is a little on the sharp, aggressive side too. Will need your attention and subtle touches of magic.

The chin and the fat/smile pockets looks extremely good.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 21-07-2007 at 02:28 AM.
# 60 21-07-2007 , 03:00 AM
Acid44
nice character Jay :bow:

whats he rendered in?user added image