Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-12-2002 , 07:32 PM

point light?

Hi,

I've been trying to model this room with ONE lamp in its corner lighting up the whole room. I used a point light since it semed like the logical choice.
I also placed the point light INSIDE the cone of the lamp (see attached picture-the not so clear one).
The problem is that the room doesnt seem to light up enough, if I use just a point light. Adding another low intensity ambient light to the room does do the trick though (sorry, couldnt attach this image too).
Is there a way I can avoid using this ambient light and solely rely on my point light?

I hope I've been explanatory enough. (AND I hope my picture files have shown up!Sigh!)

thanks,

~nspiratn

Last edited by nspiratn; 28-12-2002 at 07:35 PM.
# 2 28-12-2002 , 09:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
well, one thing about making realistic light... while it is remarkable how close to life these programs get these days, they still aren't quite the synthetic equal of real life, so while a single light in a room in real life may light a room adequately, that may not be the case in 3D. In real life, EVERYTHING reflects light in some form or fashion (unless it's utterly and completely black). This light reflecting off walls, objects, etc causes the light to travel through the room... so, keep that in mind.

# 3 28-12-2002 , 11:24 PM
SM Alumni
My suggestion would be to create a spotlight directly in front with a low level to fake the ambient lighting in the room. Keep the pointlight as the main source and the spotlight as the "fake" ambient lighting.

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.