Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-01-2012 , 11:43 AM
Lifetime Member

Tutorial Apache and Original YZF R6

My old desktop hard-drive died and took Maya and alot of my older projects with it, this was a month or so before I had a baby (well my wife helped a smidge) it's been almost a year user added image

My new years resolution of sorts was to get back into Maya, I aquired a new legit copy and set myself the challenge of modelling my Yamaha YZF... And start a WIP thread to keep me motivated and accountable to continue... Maybe it was the upgrade of version, maybe I'm just getting old.. but unlike riding a bike it wasnt effortless to 'get back on' I feel incredibly 'Noobish'.

To complicate things- right off the bat I had no tool settings panel? hitting the button for it between Attribute Editor and Channel box just made my main panel twitch slightly as did going through Display> UI elements. Without my tool settings even blocking out my rough shapes was beyond me. I couldnt turn off soft selection or mirroring, or change between local and world axis....

Thanks to google I now have it back but it pops up on the opposite side now?? Minor inconvenience but anyone know how to fix this??

I still plan to post my YZF W.I.P here, but to help me get back in touch with maya I'm going to again start (and also include in this thread) my progress on the Apache tute..

Good to be back...

Just realised my Attachments are too large... will resize and add em in a bit.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.
# 2 15-01-2012 , 12:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Waiting mate...good to see you back

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 15-01-2012 , 01:12 PM
Lifetime Member
This is the most complete file I have of the Apache tute, somewhere in no. 12?

And heres the side on Ref I was going to use for the bike. I've started modelling random bits like the gauges, tyres, Exhaust pipe (going to struggle putting nice circular holes in the brake discs I think... even though Ive watched ctbrams tutorials)

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 16-01-2012 , 02:24 AM
Lifetime Member
For the discs...you would probably be better off smoothing first then boolean...and dont touch it...or, use a high sub cylinder and bevel the edges..again dont touch and boolean IMO. ctbram??? opinion??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 25-01-2012 , 01:15 PM
Lifetime Member

Front Disc

Its only one disc (the back one is different) With the mirrors, footpegs, the seat and the fuel tank also taking shape- Its slowly coming together.

Been working on the bike in bits, tried several different methods with Booleans for the discs. But my best result was just from shaping a cylinder with LOTS of axis and cap divisions.. my holes are a little oval, I might replicate what I just did with even more axis divs but I think this will do for now.

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 25-01-2012 , 02:22 PM
The thin red line
I would take a leaf out of ctbram book...............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 26-01-2012 , 06:28 AM
Lifetime Member
yep dave that is a good method...I forget about that. 3d...I would do the disc like dave has shown....then do the spokes to fit...work backwards..that may help. I must admit when I saw Rick do this with a trolley wheel it reminded me we do tend to model in a 'forward' motion...I have actually worked in reverse a few times now...and it worke well...and not just for holes either. Thanks dave...I kick myself in the nuts now...I should remember that one by now!! LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968