Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-03-2012 , 08:31 PM

Displacement map not rendering

Hi,

So, i've modeled one car with NURBs, and used a displacement map for the tires, they worked preety fine.
But then, to make the logo, i created a small patch, below the hood at the front and created another displacement map, in order to pull out just the edges of the logo, but this one doesnt render propperly. In maya software it renders as it should, but with mental ray it doesnt.

I have uploaded some renders below.
The ones with the hole car in mental ray, i "cheated", and re-rendered the zone of the logo with maya software, so you see the hole car in mental ray, and then the logo re-rendered in maya software.

The images with just the logo, i temporarely atributed the file of the displacement map as color of the material, to check if it was correct.

I already checked the normals and they are correct.

What i cant understand is why the tires rendered properly and the logo doesnt.
Please need help ASAP.

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-03-2012 , 09:32 PM
The thin red line
Could you show the one you did with maya software...........dave

Edit:and a close up of your tyres

Last edited by daverave; 07-03-2012 at 09:45 PM.
# 3 07-03-2012 , 09:56 PM
Can we see your shader network and the setting for color gain for the texture?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 07-03-2012 , 10:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
For mental ray, did you apply a mental ray approximation node, is feature displacement off, and have you entered the correct gain and offset values for a 16bit displacement?

J

# 5 07-03-2012 , 11:28 PM
As requested here are the prints.

Jay, i'm not sure about what is the approximation node user added image but other than that, as you can see on the tests with maya software, i tweeked on the alpha values so it would come off from below the hood, but as you can see on the renders with mental ray, the patch just appears above the hood, and fully blank, only on maya software i'm able to get the result i want. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 08-03-2012 , 12:02 AM
Jay, do you have a reference site the that goes over the whole concept of mental ray displacement and explains the proper gain, offset, and approximation editor displacement settings?

Every time I play with displacement it's a mystery to me what the proper values to use are. Once again mental ray makes everything more complicate then needed. There are so many switches in the approximation node and the documents are so poorly written that I have better luck closing my eyes and just randomly picking things and moving sliders then actually trying to do anything with purpose!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-03-2012 at 02:52 AM.
# 7 08-03-2012 , 02:49 AM
hi, well, i had to have this done ASAP, so i ended up modelling the logo.
but if you can still teach me where have i gone wrong, and later i can improve this, i'll apreciate it, if not, thank you anyway for the haste.
BaaL