Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-01-2005 , 11:00 AM
Subscriber

Dec/Jan - Normal / AlphaFlyte

Entering late and I will be short on time till surgery mid January but I will give it a shot. I enter to challenge myself with texturing and to gain a better understanding of the specular/normal/bump/etc maps.

I still consider myself a beginner so all help, input and critique is most welcomed. I can handle it hehe.

Right without further a due

project: Sacrificial Chambre Ardente.
Type: Environment
Idea: Throne room with windows high up on the left and right side. Gloomy. Sacrificial pit in the center and a bizarre looking throne where the even more twisted master can sit and enjoy the show. Unfortunatly the master won't be included. Not enough time hehe (nor skills for that matter hah)

I knocked up a quick concept sketch. Soz for being so lazy and sloppy, but it nails the idea.

Happy modelling and texturing all challengers.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 2 02-01-2005 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber

Concept image

Quick concept sketch. Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1699

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 02-01-2005 at 11:13 AM.
# 3 02-01-2005 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber

Modelling

Todays modelling. Hmm tri-count ain't exactly skyrocketing, but I guess that's what to expect from environments. Hopefully can go overboard with the banners, chandeliers, and the throne.

Attached Images

The Salvation Prophecy
# 4 02-01-2005 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
Some chandeliers, and it's time to step away from the computer.

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy
# 5 02-01-2005 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
Love the concept image AlphaFlyte, tons of atmosphere. Best of luck transfering that to your scene.

# 6 03-01-2005 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
The time today has been spent on planning and painting textures. This is new ground to me, so I learn as I go along. Attempted a 256x256 brick texture with a bump map to see how things tiles, repeats and so on.

I succeeded so so on making it neutraly coloured and lit. There are some odd white spots here and there, but a good start. I thought it would come out far worse. Next problem is tiling a texture properly. I introduce the falling bricks phenomena. Shoot the architect user added image

Sort it tomorrow. Time for some Playstation 2 fun mefinks.

Attached Images

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 03-01-2005 at 07:28 PM.
# 7 03-01-2005 , 07:55 PM

# 8 04-01-2005 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
Adding textures. Testing them on a concept level. Hazy floor is added sloppily in post coz I have no idea what I want yet. The initial idea was to have something of a bottomless pit below, but I think a texture for it may only look strange. I am trying to understand camera better because I'm thinking maybe depth of field and out of focus settings can add a nice depth for the ground.

I am not sure I want to fix the brickwall yet. I kinda like the falling bricks phenomena lol. Loomis says diagonal lines creates drama. Loomis is ALWAYS right.

So far 3074 tri's and I used 1050 of them on the chandeliers. Going to be optimized I hope. Anyways, progress shot.

Attached Images

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 04-01-2005 at 01:02 PM.
# 9 06-01-2005 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
I should have spent today looking into normal maps and specular maps, but got caught up doing everything else but 3D. Oh well guess we all have these days. Still playing around with concept and composition. Added some more interesting lighting, but this is definatly not where I should spend the time. It's not a lighting challenge.

I'm happy where the cools and warms are meeting so I hope I can keep and tweak it even tho it's not realistic from a 3D engine point of view. 7 lightsources is hardly real-time 3D hehe. Tomorrow I better try and understand them maps *spanks self*

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy
# 10 06-01-2005 , 05:40 AM
looks good since u have to banners hanging just split the texture between those and have the seam go bhind it. Just an idea.

Good work so far though. Nice job with scene

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein
# 11 06-01-2005 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber
You lost me Omy. Split the texture? Seam? They already share the same texture, and there is no seam. The banners are just slightly deformed wave planes. Are you suggesting I should break up the surface more for variety or get rid of the yellow/gold stripes? Please clarify so I too can understand hehe.

The Salvation Prophecy
# 12 07-01-2005 , 12:20 AM
idk what i was thinking....i just read what i typed and im tryin to figure it out...i have a hint of what i think thinking...but it wouldnt work....anywho....the slanting rocks do give it character but would u mind putting actually horizontal brick....just for us viewers.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein
# 13 08-01-2005 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
Straight bricks for ya Omy. But I still like the falling bricks better haha. Anyway, this image shows me some of the stuff that has to be done.

1. Uniform colours
2. Knock the throne and master back, way back. Darker, diffuse, new lighting not pointing towards the throne, and new DOF and center of interest for the camera settings.
4. Some parts still look a little plastic sort of. Trying to understand the why's and how to fix.
5. I'd love to add some noise and grain, so I will look into it. Easy to add in post, but wanna see what can be done in maya.
6. The middle ground is kinda boring. I'll have to do sommit about it.

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy
# 14 08-01-2005 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
And for the wire freaks. Oerr guess I should of chosen something closeup instead. Well my wires aren't much to see. Study Kurts, Alans or Mike's wires instead user added image

4390 tri's at the moment. Master and chandeliers can be optimized a lot, but I haven't got much time.

Attached Thumbnails

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 08-01-2005 at 02:03 PM.
# 15 11-01-2005 , 09:40 PM
That looks great, alphaflyte! Keep in mind that the poly count has to be in tris, so the quads I see in there need to be multiplied by two. Though once you optimize I think you can shrink it down.

As for the falling brick texture... I like it best. It adds depth and atmosphere to the scene, and adds to the sinister, gloomy atmosphere.

"Even a brick wants to be something" - Louis Kahn