Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-02-2007 , 04:21 PM

Thylacine

Hi guys,

I've been working on this for a while and wanted to share it today. I've been modeling a thylacine or tasmanian tiger. For those of you who've never heard of them, they were marsupials in Australia and Tasmania and officially went extinct in 1936.
I still have to make her nose, refine the body a bit, and add fur but this is how she looks so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-02-2007 , 04:22 PM
Another view...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 23-02-2007 , 04:55 PM
And another...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-02-2007 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
true blue and bloody well alright I reckon!

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 24-02-2007 , 06:56 PM
thylacine to me sounds more like an amino acid than a marsupial, but the model looks pretty ok. the mouth/snout section might need a little work, but i have no photo references to work from to make an accurate synopsis.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 25-02-2007 , 07:01 AM
Thanks for your replies. There are lots of pictures if you go to google images and type in thylacine. I've been working on modeling it a little more and now I'm happier with it. I'd like to add fur to it but as you can see in the picture I attached the UVs are very uneven. I don't know the first thing about UV mapping and was wondering if someone could help me with getting them even...

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 25-02-2007 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
can you just 'rebuild'??

someone willl help!!

# 8 25-02-2007 , 12:38 PM
I don't know user added image I made it using subdivs, only its eye and a few teeth are nurbs. I tried attaching a fur description to it but Maya froze...I converted it to a polygon and attached fur no problem but there were only a few strands of the stuff. I then converted it to nurbs and the fur went on fine except for a few areas. But the thing is, there are over 1000 pieces when I convert it to Nurbs....and with all that fur on over 1000 pieces my laptop struggles. Is there a way to convert to Nurbs without it making all those pieces? user added image

# 9 25-02-2007 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
there is a node that lets you display the amount of painted objects in percentage so it lessens the load on the computer, works for plants and stuff, 'fur' I am not sure, also you should be able to thin and manipulate the fur anyway you want via the AE.

seek and ye shall find user added image

# 10 25-02-2007 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
here it is.., it is at 100% at the moment but as you lessen it, it will take the load off your computer and you can easily move about the scene. what will happen is the hair (or any paint effects) will LOOK less but makes completely no difference to the render, all the hair is still there even if you have it at 1 % and can hardly see anything.., i use this method every time I use any paint effects.

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 25-02-2007 , 10:16 PM
Could you show a poly wireframe?

You might need to tweek some of the areas to get a nice flow of even geo and to try to keep the topology to quads.

Have you UV mapped it?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 26-02-2007 , 02:07 AM
Thank you Mirek! I'll try that.
I don't think it's been UV mapped...I tried following what Maya's help files said about it and chose automatic mapping. The UVs look the same as in the screenshot I posted earlier.
This is the poly wireframe you asked to see gster.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 20-03-2007 , 02:12 AM
Subscriber
hi crew, hows it all goin?? I have a friend making a doco that will most likely go to air.
she needs one of these creatures, this ancient .., marsupial.

If you like, I cant remember who is actually making it.., if you like, she would love to use this model for the show (if you can animate it).., what say you??

cheers. ( of course all credits and ethics will be adhered to.., it is professional.)

I just aint good enough

# 14 20-03-2007 , 11:47 AM
Wow really? I'd like to help out if I'm good enough. I was planning on animating it...can you email me some info about what your friend is planning on doing? (Hoshi87@gmail.com)

Thanks user added image

# 15 20-03-2007 , 03:49 PM

Update

::Update::

Fur needs to be seriously combed...but at least I finally got it to work. Has anyone ever gotten a "Fatal Error, saving in temp..." message? That's what pops up whenever I try to comb it...

Attached Thumbnails