Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 26-12-2008 , 01:35 PM
Personally, I let it go, people only come up with that rubbish due to a lack of understanding, member of mensa or not (maybe theres a misconception of mensa members in there...).

Its like people seeing some one playing say the drums or guitar, and with no knowlage of the instrument go "ohh I can do that, it looks really easy." Which I would take as a compliment.

Untill they actually try it its only then thay can have a true informed opinion.

Ohh and they wll be looking for the "make cool" button or the "realistic render slider" within 10 mins flat.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 26-12-2008 , 01:48 PM
In my experience it is a bit more than lack of understanding. Some people seem to have a "hatred" of computers and like to belittle those who use them.

I once met a woman who insisted that computers were nothing more than "dumb" pieces of plastic and metal and that anyone who used them was either a "lazy bum" or were "too stupid" to do anything the "real way" becuase the computer "did" everything for you.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 18 26-12-2008 , 01:58 PM
A "hatred" of something is just a lack of understanding for what it is/does.

Your point about the woman pretty much demonstraites a complete lack of understanding and the lack of desire to learn a new skill, hence the opinion she has. Does she live in a cave somewhere???

# 19 26-12-2008 , 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by gster123
Ohh and they wll be looking for the "make cool" button or the "realistic render slider" within 10 mins flat.

And if it doesn't have that option, it sucks lmao

- Genny
# 20 26-12-2008 , 02:08 PM
But I'm sure that plenty of people have no idea what a computer is and they don't "hate" it. I saw a news report about this charity providing computers to children in Africa. They were amazed by a computer and didn't try to burn them becuase they were "evil" or something. user added image

Which reminds me that back in high school, my vis com teacher was very supportive of students using computers as part of their projects. New macs and wacom tablets for everyone. And she didn't really understand 3D either, she was mostly Photoshop, Corel Draw, etc.

# 21 26-12-2008 , 02:20 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
But I'm sure that plenty of people have no idea what a computer is and they don't "hate" it.

No one said they did. What I said was that people that say they "hate" something have a general lack of understanding and a preconcieved fear of it which leads to the "hate", not that if you dont understand something that you automatically "hate" it. C'mon dont take everything so literally....

# 22 26-12-2008 , 06:50 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

In my experience, I find people don't get the concept of 3D graphics. When I was in high school I used to show my work around. People would ask why I called it "3D" when it was flat (they expect IMAX).

Expaining any processes related to 3D graphics also results in lol. Once, I was chatting with a buddy about modelling and the guy next to me asked me, "What? You model?"

No, I can't get you a photo of Adriana signed by the goddess herself... user added image

I should try to have a conversation with someone when a 3d film is actually 3d (stereoscopic) its a nightmare.....

The first few time i did let it go but it keeps coming back up

It is just so frustrating that ive struggled so much and people think its easy and.... </rant>
I better stop now....

# 23 26-12-2008 , 07:49 PM
Dont let it bother you, if people think its easy then let them, as I said its only if you've done it and done it well that you can say if its easy or not.

I see it a lot of the time where people expect to get the skills and the knowlage right away to just go and do what they want, cos its easy, that goes for anything.

Thats how you have a really good user of anything, someone that can create what they want without hesitation and make it look easy.

# 24 26-12-2008 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber
People think welding is easy, people think plumbing is easy, people think car repair is easy, so on and so forth. But if you get right down to it like people have said already people like to say things are easy when they have no idea what they're doing.

I've experienced this so called easy welding, and I'll tell you, it's not easy at all! But when people see someone doing it they're always saying how they could do it, or they could do it better. The actual process of welding is not that hard, but making it look good is the hard thing

Plumbing I've experienced, also not as easy as people say it is.

Car repair, let me just say, all these people say it's easy to this and that to a car, but if thats the case why are these same people bringing it to a garage to have it done?

People like to claim things are easy when they know jack shit about it. I was playing guitar and this kid told me that guitar was so easy and so on, and I asked if he played he said no because it was too easy. So I handed him a guitar, a book of music and a book of tabs and told him to learn any song he wanted, and he had 1 hour since it's so easy... he failed and realized it's not easy.

And the same thing goes for all this 3d, you can't let people get on your nerves like that, unfortunately you'll get that a lot with the ignorance of people you basically either have to ignore them, let them believe they're right, or prove them that they are wrong. I like to do a mixture of letting people believe they're right and prove them wrong all in the same sitting, makes me feel better.

/rant

# 25 26-12-2008 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber

But I'm sure that plenty of people have no idea what a computer is and they don't "hate" it.

i know this has already been dealt with but i'm not sure where this comment came from

Originally posted by gster123A "hatred" of something is just a lack of understanding for what it is/does.

i see nothing in this sentence that points to what you said there Architect, it's a one way thing

anyway, elephantinc, you should stick your bro infront of Maya, give him the time he claims he can do it in, and yeah... just like mr camel did with the kid and the guitar

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 27-12-2008 , 05:45 AM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
And the same thing goes for all this 3d, you can't let people get on your nerves like that, unfortunately you'll get that a lot with the ignorance of people you basically either have to ignore them, let them believe they're right, or prove them that they are wrong. I like to do a mixture of letting people believe they're right and prove them wrong all in the same sitting, makes me feel better.

Don't people just get more p*ssed off when you show them how it is? They start going on about how you set them up for fail, how stupid x is and that it should be done like this and that...

On the subject of ignorance, get a load of this:

https://www.theage.com.au/news/techno...584755498.html

I really like point 8: "Today we all program computers, by the very act of using them." user added image

# 27 27-12-2008 , 01:52 PM
People dont get pi**ed off if you show it to them the right way, its all about teaching people.

# 28 27-12-2008 , 03:56 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I have stuck my brother in front of maya, but he doesn't have the patience to even load it up....

one thing that annoyed me recently though was the one person who realised that its hard (afore mentioned friend) didnt believe that id made those kirbys, he accused me of stealing them

Its not just 3d though, i play ice hockey and people assume its easy (when they cant even ice skate) and my brother tells everyone that im rubbish at it and hes never even seen me play!

I forgot to mention that my brothers nickname at school is hitler (no joke)

# 29 27-12-2008 , 04:31 PM
haha, what does one do to deserve such a nickname?

So yeah, I play the flute to, and people tend to think it is easy to. It's not at all.
And if I hand it too them, they can't even make a sound, haha.

85% of people are completely stupid and ignorant anyway, so just deal with it. Luckily the other 15% encompasses SimplyMaya.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 30 27-12-2008 , 05:16 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Well by being a complete twat really, and looking a vaguely like him