Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-03-2009 , 10:37 PM

Modelling Mini Prizes

Modelling Mini Prizes

Can a model of sub-atomic particles, forces and
atoms be created in Maya / Virtual Reality?

Prize 1 – Waveform motion - Prototype electron. £10
See if a vortex in motion in a frictionless system can travel with a corkscrew motion.
Method:
Create a volume of very small transparent spheres, a densely populated volume.
Give them random motion
Possibly have 1 in 10 to 1 in 200 spheres coloured to make motion clear,
Create a vortex. According to Helmholtz this should self sustain in a frictionless system
Switch the initiation force for the vortex off to see if it sustains naturally.
Then put the vortex in a fast moving (random but with an overall speed in one direction) volume of spheres so that the broad mouth of the vortex is slightly at an angle to the average directional motion, rather than being absolutely perpendicular to it.
If there is no corkscrew motion post file to for the prize. There is no right or wrong answer here, just an attenuation of the number of possible vortex theories.

Prize 2 – Electron slit experiment and wave particle duality £10
One of the extremely peculiar behaviours of electrons is that they diffract strangely when fired one at a time through a double slit. It is thought that this maybe due to the rough spinning mouth of the vortex sending out pulses. These pulses bounce through one slit and interact with the electron which has gone through the other deflecting it away from a straight course.
Prize two is to show this behaviour exists.

Prize 3 - Forming particles – prototype proton. £10
Vortices produce a slowly decaying trail, a spinning tube like structure. Put three vortices onto a tube shaped into a ring and moving around the ring to maintain it. Can this form exhibit stability? The entire assembly may have to additional movement to maintain stability.

Prize 4 – Prototype neutron £10
Try and get model of 3 to glue to either 1 or 2. The assembly may have to be spun to equalize the forces.

Prize 5 – Create a prototype atom £10
A prototype electron will be deflected from its normal helical course in areas where there is a gradient in the density of background particles. A prototype neutron + proton should either create this gradient, or create a flow which the face of an electron can `stick onto', allowing for an electron orbit, unfortunately in reality this is at a vast distance compared to the diameter of the nucleus. The prize is for a coherent model of a proton/neutron and electron assembly.

Prize 6 - Planar sinusoidal movement. £10
Show planar or close to planar sinusoidal movement (as opposed to corkscrew in Prize 1) with either a spinning sphere, vortex or smoke ring form. Perhaps a full rotation, turning around the average vector of motion, per wave length will be required. Perhaps travelling edge on rather than open face on to direction of motion. This is not essential to the overall theory. Also can a prototype electron absorb and emit these forms, with or without sinusoidal movement?

READ ME
The point of these prizes is to provide a basic coherent geometry which can inspire people to create an accurate geometry for a unified theory of forces and matter. The reason why they will not be accurate is that the number of spheres per particle will be a guess and only by very serious study can the exact size be deduced. The actual number of spheres per particle is probably very large. I have studied many theories and they all have various heavy handed assumptions. String theory itself makes some bizarre assumptions about force without explaining it and has dozens of arbitrary constants. This, in contrast, really makes one single assumption about the nature of space – that either it is split up some way, filled with very small particles for example – not exactly a great leap of faith, and a tenet which is widely believed: the rest is Newtonian physics which we can trust.
Prizes will be awarded to the first person who uploads the answers to the Yahoo group TOE in the physics section (https://groups.yahoo.com/group/TOE-) in both small avi file and Alias Maya file. You will find a `file' link on the homepage, upload the answer and leave a message on the notice board. Call the name of the upload Prize No... One of the conditions of the prize is that after an initial creation stage all artificial forces should be switched off, the model should cohere and work of its own accord.
Good luck. Sorry the money is small, but it's something to put on your CV and talk about at the pub. Oh yes, you might get part of a Nobel Prize too!

# 2 24-03-2009 , 05:34 AM
Wow is this really your first post?

# 3 24-03-2009 , 06:05 PM
Yes. I haven't stirred much interest as of yet unfortunately. All prizes still unclaimed.

# 4 25-03-2009 , 12:43 AM
EduSciVis-er
This sounds really interesting. I've thought about a similar type of problem, though relatively unrelated, involving protein folding. Then I realized that there were software solutions specifically designed to address the problem more accurately than something that could be done in maya.

I'm not a physicist or very knowledgeable about sub-atomic forces, but I'm wondering whether or not these sorts of problems would be outside the scope of the dynamics that were actually programmed into the software?
I guess what I'm saying is it might be the case (thought I don't know for sure) that these phenomena might be impossible to recreate as self-perpetuating dynamic systems, though this would in no way disprove any possibility that these do in fact occur.
I don't know if that made any sense, but it was just a thought I had.

# 5 25-03-2009 , 05:31 PM
thanks for the interest and thought, I feel that it must be possible, though the computer might have to be left for a couple of hours to work through the calculations. The key is that I know the particle interactions can reflect natural Newtonian interaction and can be set to zero friction so they don't run out of energy. There may be small errors in the calculations which build chaotically into unexpected results, but I feel that they should counteract each other in general and not pose a significant problem at this stage.

# 6 25-03-2009 , 07:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I dont think this is a job for maya TBH

# 7 25-03-2009 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber
elephantinc, why not?
maybe a app that's specifically made to deal with simulations is better, but i don't see any reason yet as to why it can't be done in Maya... It wouldn't be Maya alone though, you'd need python, or make a c++ plug-in rather than a script

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 25-03-2009 , 09:12 PM
Mayas dynamics are pretty good, for the above to do it accuratly, you would need FEA to do it. though you could get close with maya. (have a look in Eureka journal this month theres a small section on Maya and nparticles in there for lower level analysis) Also fluids allow nice approximaitions of aerodynamics, that "look" right, not too sure of the overall accurcy.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 26-03-2009 , 12:03 PM
Basically if you can get Maya to bounce two billiard balls off each other in a convincing way, go for it with Maya!

It is really easy to get bogged down with the details here because there are all sorts of annoying factors such as stickiness, inertia, spin conservation, slippage, and so on. We just want an approximate system here.

Those who know a bit of programming will probably be interested to see the plugin for Maya here:

https://br.geocities.com/laloschmidek...sionField.html

Though you may have to iron out some bugs

BACKGROUND INFO

I hope you will be interested to hear some background to this to explain the direction I am taking. If we go back to 'the beginning of time' we cannot have anything that takes time to be made, really there can be no structures at all, including atoms. All that we are left with is dimension and energy, and, if we accept that, all that is permitted is fluctuations in space time to represent both elements. It is thought from quantum electrodynamics that there are virtual particles which flit in an out of existance, but the details are poorly understood. The two previous ideas seem to gel quite well. Now we need to get these particles to sustain larger structures. I can only see two methods either vortex forms or to give space an inherent stickiness, which I feel is impossible. All other structures have to have some invented shell or unexplained force force. I am forced therefor to believe that the virtual particles are some kind of localized variation in the density of dimension.

So we have to approximate these and let the actual experimental results, such as the data from the electron slit experiment, refine the approximations. So I suggest that spheres are taken, zero stickiness, zero friction, and zero spin are used initially in the models.

# 10 26-03-2009 , 04:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
If I remember correctly from my undergrad physics/chem classes... electrons, as well as light, have properties approximating both particles and waves.
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and all that... I think.
Anyway, if we are dealing strictly with Newtonian physics, then this should work, but if part of the causation of the speculated phenomena is due to special relativity and/or wavefunctions and/or other stuff, then I don't see how this would have been programmed into the dynamics of Maya. Maybe it is, I don't know.

I'd love to give this a try, but unfortunately I don't know nearly enough about Maya's dynamics to start.

I think I may have just been throwing out some words I remember in a vain attempt to sound impressive. user added image

# 11 27-03-2009 , 06:50 PM
Stwert you missed a golden opportunity to write Schrodinger's Wave Function, and Quantum Electrodynamics. Shame on you!

The whole point is to create a geometry of space time and movements within the space time from which these things naturally evolve. The positive aspects are that the intial model is flexible and Newtonian, the difficult thing is sustaining vortices, and the fact that they may need lots of particles.

Has anyone tried and failed at this?

There are some great inspirational videos here:

https://serve.me.nus.edu.sg/limtt/#Video_Gallery

one of the best is this mpeg:

https://serve.me.nus.edu.sg/limtt/video/leapfrog.mpeg

I am currently contacting experts in the field of fluid dynamics and trying to get their opinions/tips.

# 12 27-03-2009 , 08:08 PM
You could easily approximate that second clip with fluids. I do say easily loosely as it would be a lot of playing about to get it right.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle