Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-05-2005 , 03:17 PM
Simply Maya OG

Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody

Started up a new project, since my old PRS is on my old fried HD. Its a hollowbody (in case you didnt read the subject user added image ). Its the guitar Dan Estrin from Hoobastank plays. Just have the basic body layed out/modeled.

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 2 22-05-2005 , 03:18 PM
Simply Maya OG
Heres the reference image Im using. Its right from the PRS website.

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 3 22-05-2005 , 03:28 PM
Yeah, its pretty good so farr, but try to get in some basic shaders first now, so we can see the differences in color, kinda hard to see in lambert1. Good work, keep it up.

,Matt

# 4 26-05-2005 , 05:26 PM
Simply Maya OG
Havent had time to work on it, but since college finals are over after today, Ill be getting to work on it. Just added GI_Joe. You can see it alittle better.

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 5 27-05-2005 , 01:46 PM
I looks a bit too much like a strat right now, I think the non-flat top is important to model well.
But looks very nice, I look forward to some progress, with the neck and all.

# 6 28-05-2005 , 09:18 PM
you suck hybrid.. where are you on AIM?

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 7 29-05-2005 , 11:41 PM
Simply Maya OG
Dude, EVERYTIME Im on AIM, your either not on, or you have ur "away" message up. And yes, I know. I do suck. user added image

- Hybrid
# 8 31-05-2005 , 01:18 AM
Simply Maya OG
Added the neck, the frets, and a few minor things. Still alot to be done.

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 9 31-05-2005 , 04:10 AM
The model is looking pretty nice. The only comment I have is that the top of the head really needs the bumped out curvature. All PRS guitars have this and it tends to distinguish them from others. Right now I'm working on a model of a similarly designed guitar (Schecter C-1 Classic) and I'm having trouble with the same bumped out design. If anyone has a solid method for handling this, I'd appreciate the advice. I'm working in NURBS, so I'm gussing I'll just end up dragging around some CVs. I was just hoping someone knew of a procedural method. Lastly, your renders would look a bit nicer if you turned up the NURBS tesselation (Rendering>Render>Set NURBS Tesselation I believe). That will clear up the holes from the Planar operation. Thanks and keep up the modellinguser added image .

Last edited by TheElement; 31-05-2005 at 04:13 AM.
# 10 31-05-2005 , 04:15 AM
Simply Maya OG
Im not sure what you mean by the head. Im assuming your talking about the curvature of the body itself. If that it, then I havent even started it yet. Its on my "to do" list. Im prolly gonna just pull/push verts around. If your talking about something different, please. Let me know. user added image

- Hybrid
# 11 31-05-2005 , 07:15 PM
Thats what I meant. It's looking pretty nice, and I'm sure after you add that curvature it will look quite accurate. Keep up the good work and keep posting WIPsuser added image .

# 12 01-06-2005 , 12:28 AM
i second the nomination that you suckuser added image

Nice.. But if you keep making guitars your going to have to animate one someday. Might be fun.