Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-05-2006 , 05:58 PM

texture not clean looking, help?

I've been bringing in some textures and puting them on a nurbs plane. I'm using the alpha so the lines of the texture show through, but the background does not. The lines are really bad and noisy looking.

There look really clean in photoshop and are 3 megs worth of resolution. The alpha is really clean in PS as well. I've used the filter (in Maya( and all that does is blur a bad looking texture.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by revolve; 26-05-2006 at 06:18 PM.
# 2 04-06-2006 , 06:19 PM
Weird, could you please tell us which render you use and how exactly you linked the alpha channel of the image to the plane (e.g. file.outTransparency --> shader.transparency)?

and did you try using a smaller image? Or using another render settings peset?

# 3 05-06-2006 , 11:01 PM
Sure.

I used a psd file and used the "alpha" in the dropdown. I've used about every setting possible in the render globals. I even changed the texture sixeto 1000 by 1000 pixels and put in on another nurbs plane to see if if was being distorted (as it can in Photoshop when you view something at 67% or something other than 100%)

I'm using the maya software renderer. The only thing I can think of is that it's not reading the alpha the way I've designed it. Which is that the frame/stroke is 100% white and slightly blurred, the backgound of the image is about 20 % white, and the lineart portion of the image is also 100%. Hope that doesn't sound confusing. I may be able to post some images later including the alpha. I'm still on Maya 6.

Thanks in advance......frustrated

# 4 11-06-2006 , 10:30 AM
I still can't really imagine your problem. You could try not to use a PSD file but rather save the psd file as a tiff (flattened of course) or somthing else with alpha and then try applying that to the plane.