Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-01-2005 , 11:28 PM

Can I convert Maya 4 and Maya 6 project to Maya 5????????

I've got Maya 6 at home and I've been working on a project. But my college has Maya 5 and I need to work at college now.

I also have projects in Maya 4 as well, and I need to convert them to Maya 5 as well.

Any ideas???

# 2 02-01-2005 , 11:50 PM
Technical Director
4-5 just import it into 5.

For 6-5 you have to open up the file in note pad. look at the top:
it should say: requires maya "6.0";
or something else like that. the one with // in front of it you dont have to worry about. change the 6.0 to 5.0 so it would be:

requires maya "5.0";

You might lose some data. hardly anything noticable.

have fun!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 03-01-2005 , 12:51 AM

tried opening it in notepad.....

like you suggested, but notepad only recognises text files and Maya is a Maya Binary File.

When I opened it in notepad I just got a whole page full of unintelligeable symbols with alot of squares mixed with letters.

Also, if I did manage to change it like you suggested, how would I save it as a Maya file, as notepad only saves as .txt files.

Any help is much appreciated!!

# 4 03-01-2005 , 12:54 AM
Technical Director
Even with a .mb I think you can still do it.

As for saving as a maya file, just in the name put a .mb or .ma insted of the .txt

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 03-01-2005 , 01:06 AM
In order to edit the files in a text editor, you must save the Maya scene files as .MA files. .MB files cannot be edited in the same manner.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job