Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-04-2005 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber

Mirroring?

I've created half a head, and want to mirror this across and join the seams, and create some uneven features.

I can mirror this but it ends up several units away from each other, and as one single object as opposed to 2 ( one per each side of the face) I've tried un grouping to no evail.

Any tips plz

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 28-04-2005 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
maybe the pivot point on the orginal mesh needs to be tweaked?

As for the single object instead of 2 - is it combining the two sides? Cant recall seeing that option in the duplicate option box.

Maybe reset the duplication options to default and try changing the scale in x/y/z again?

# 3 28-04-2005 , 05:49 PM
i may be wrong, but if you're mirroring across an axis, you need to have the half-face end right on the axis, so when it mirrors it'll connect to itself. that might be why there's a gap inbetween, it's not on the axis.

# 4 29-04-2005 , 08:17 AM
Heya,

Yup, it is definately your pivot point, you need to make sure that your pivot point is exactly flush on the edge of the one side of the face, and then mirror it and it should align properley, no matter where your head is in the scene, if your pivot is correctly placed it will mirror properley. user added image Also, make sure all of your vertex's on the edge of the face are all in a straight line, that will also cause problems if they are out of place. user added image Hope that helps user added image

MainlineX

-------------------------------------------
# 5 29-04-2005 , 08:27 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for the responses, in order to move the pivot point, do i press insert, then manually move it?

Mike

# 6 29-04-2005 , 08:31 AM
Yeah, you press insert move your pivot across and then press insert again to get back to "normal" mode user added image Or hold "D" in on your keyboard and move your pivot across and let go of D...hehe, sorry don't mean to confuse you...user added image

MainlineX user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 7 29-04-2005 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mainline, the project is a character [not too far from your avatar actually] for a potential small online multiplayer war-craft style game. Hopefully, when I'm happywith the model I'll upload a few WIP stills and get some feedback

Mike