Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-03-2007 , 03:10 PM

humanHead

hi folks!

I´m about to shade the head Ive done and use the misss_fast_skin_maya shader therefor. I couldnt find out much by rtfm on this shader. the problem I can´t get rid of is the area on the left of the ear. it looks like the edge is kind of transparent or something. by now I think I´ve tried out allomst all combinations of shadersettings but the only thing what´s not changing is this weird appearence of edge.

please drop some comments if you have an idea what I am missing!

Attached Thumbnails

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 01-03-2007 , 03:33 PM
Dunno any good settings mate, only just staretd to get tino it myself.

Theres a great free video tutorial over on gnomon, goes over the set up and what all the settings do as well as setting it up. Might be worth a look??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 01-03-2007 , 04:04 PM
I´ll try immediately, thx m8!

# 4 01-03-2007 , 04:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 5 01-03-2007 , 04:54 PM
thx for the additional summary jay. I´m watching alex alvarez right now. he´s such a amazing instructor. sss_shader is becoming to make sense allready. yout text stuff will be very usefull.

thx to both of you!

# 6 01-03-2007 , 05:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No Probs, Have fun!

Jay

# 7 01-03-2007 , 06:43 PM
here are my attempts with sss_fast_skin. still have to work on the specMap and also need to mess around with the diffuseMap but I think it´s a good start.

Last edited by Falott; 03-03-2007 at 06:20 PM.
# 8 02-03-2007 , 05:14 PM
I have another Question concerning normal/displacementMaps. those above renderings are done with an allready subdivided mesh. it rendered in about 1 minute. now I´ve done displacements with Zbrush. using the maya software renderer the lowpoly mesh renders real nicely in about 5-10 seconds with any - bump/normal/displacement maps. but with mental ray I have allways had my problems (so I allyways avoided disp and normalmapping with mr...).

when using displacement with subdivision approximation, it renders in about 20 seconds but it looks like the mesh hasn´t been ´tessellated at rendertime. there is some displacement influence but it looks just crappy. now I found out that the only way to have the mesh rendered in a clean way with displacement the mesh has to be triangulated. (dont even think about creating blendshapes and animating later...) the rendertimes jumped up from 1 minute from the hiRes version to 2min30 with the lowRes version with displacement. that doesn´t make any sense to me.

I tried some tuts from ZBrush site how to get fromZB to MR in maya and followed the instructions very carefully. doesn´t matter - I didn´t get it to work one single time. it seems to be easy for everyone to render in mr with normal/displacement. noone ever mentioned the triangulation thing. am I stupid or is it a bug with my software?

does anybody knwo how to setup a proper displacement and a normalMap render with mental ray - especially with the misss_fast_skin shader?

# 9 02-03-2007 , 06:37 PM
I'm using the approximation editor under Window/Rendering Editors/mental ray/Approximation Editor to get decent displacements. Works fine, but takes a lot of rendering time.

# 10 02-03-2007 , 06:47 PM
yeah, that´s the problem exactly. I thought using displacement speeds up render time. but the very opposite thing happens.

btw I had not smoothed the mesh before using the displacement. that´s why my rendering looked so awfull..

# 11 02-03-2007 , 06:57 PM
Speeds up compared to what? Displacement are very time consuming and that's a fact. You mean compared to render the +1 million polys zbrush model? Of course it depends on how detailed you set the displacement settings. So rendering the highpoly model can be faster... of course it's more sluggish to maneuver in the gui.

# 12 02-03-2007 , 07:08 PM
hm... I guess after all I´m still a noob. so with displacement the geometry will be subdivided and that means higher rendertimes. that leads me to my next question - how do I use a normalMap on misss_fast_skin and mr.. and is this supposed to spead up my rendertime?

# 13 02-03-2007 , 07:20 PM
I´m just an idiot - forget it