Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-07-2007 , 04:26 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

uv_layout

Hi i'm currently working on uv's and since i've never done this before, i'm wondering if i'm doing it right and if anyone has some good advice(except for not doing it, offcourse:p )

thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-07-2007 , 10:03 PM
You used automatic group UV in some other application to make this or?

And you should do your best to minimilize the edges so that you cant see where the textures changes(something that Im baaaad at) But you've done that fairly well. user added image

# 3 27-07-2007 , 12:19 AM
No what i've done is i deleted all of the uv's on the model and then with the paintselection tool i've painted the faces i wanted to project and used different projections(automatic and cylindrical).
And then especiallywith the automatic mappings(they leave quite a mess user added image ) i sewed most off the uv's to make it more recogniseable.
This is the first time i'm doing this, but even when i take that in consideration i don't believe that people who are doing this as a day job are doing it like this isn't there some software that does all these things by itself so that the texture-guy can go about his painting?

# 4 28-07-2007 , 08:18 PM
Theres quite a few "pelting" tools available for maya, have a look on highend 3d in the downloads section for maya.

They do a decent job of unwraping the UV's but generally you would probably want to have a bit more control over where the UV's are been placed so some menual adjustment is usualy needed, as far as I know theres no "magic Bullet" for it, its just trial and error to get whet you need.

As you probably know the UV's shouyld all be in scale where you need it, i.e try to keep the legs the same scale in the UV editor as it would be in the viewport.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 09-08-2007 , 01:30 PM
And yet again uv troubles, it seems when my skill in uv-ing is growing, the problems grow along with it:headbang:

So here's the problem;
I selected the mesh, tried to delete the uv's, but nothing happened.(i suspected a white-transparent kinda thing when i would press 6)
first i thought it was a graphic glitch or something, but to check, i created a sphere and did the same, but here there were no problems.
After a while searching on the internet someone stated that when you export the mesh as an obj. file and then import it right back in the glitch would be over.
And that person was absolutely right, the only problem now is that maya doesn't create new uv's when i make a new projection(with a new map).
When you look at the picture it also seems that in the viewport it was projected through the y-axis while i choose the z-axis it displays properly in the uv texture-editor.
I've checked the normals and border-edges and they were okay.
So to be quite honest i'm completely lost:shakehead

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-08-2007 , 04:13 AM
I figured it out, for some reason i had to manually attach the newly made uv set to the file node through uv linking, so i finally can make some progress again