Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-08-2008 , 03:59 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

tearing my hair out trying to create hair

why why why what logical explanation would there be for the hair to stand up. im using the paintfx method to create hair and i have tried to adjust everything.I was following the tutorial in 3dtotal for creating hair by Yaniko minako
https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials..._designer1.asp

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by murambi; 05-08-2008 at 04:15 PM.
# 2 05-08-2008 , 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Don't know why thats happening, I remember seeing that tut ages ago, never followed it so can't help you with that. Have you thought about using geometry with color maps and alpha maps? :s

- Genny
# 3 06-08-2008 , 07:33 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
nope dont know how to do that besides i read somewhere its only good to use that if you dont plan on animating

# 4 06-08-2008 , 10:12 AM
Senior Software Developer
Dont use Paint Effects for hair... Use Hair for Hair. paint effects never really worked for me and it looks sooooo false on a render...

I am not too mush of a fan of Paint Effects for stuff and anything I do use it for is converted into polys/nubrs.

Steve (GSter123) love hair and may be able to give you better tips than I can. I use Joe Alters Shave n a Hair cut for hair. Way better and so much fun.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 06-08-2008 , 10:58 AM
I make a cap so to speak for the hair using lofted nurbs curves, then insert lots of isoprams, withthem all still selected I then make curves form that, then assign the hair to the curves. Works a treat.

The advantage is that you can then just hid the curves and use the history of them, so to adjust the hair you can just adjust the nurbs cap.

Oh and when your animation just hide the hair system and the curves, then swich on for render time

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 06-08-2008 at 11:01 AM.