Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 181 03-09-2011 , 02:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dave, thanks.

I really dont know on the teeth side of things , I have heard that before but I really dont know generally.

References, I have so many of her, I think theres a shot on the earlier posts of some of the cameras with images on them, otherwise just google 'how to steal a million' you should get the same stuff I have been using. theres some nice color ones of her which are quite rare as most of her are that technicolor look or black and white, that said it hasnt been easy getting skin tones for her as she always looked bloody flawless in her appearance, she almost looks airbrushed naturally LOL

Lips, 'they stand out'??? Hmmm? no I will actually disagree with that comment John, sorry mate, its dependant on the actual person, natural lips have a fall off toward the edges anyway, which is what Ive gone for. Generally lip pigment falls off towards the outer edges more, but as I said it will differ from person to person. We all have that line below the lip, perhaps the one here is possibly too prominent in which case I could adjust the uv to bring it down but otherwise the anatomy is correct.

The majority of color images of this lovely lady has extended lip makeup over that line, so this raises the actual question of what does look right, make or no make up, or on the lip edge or over? Women with thin lips do it for an obvious reason. Typically i didnt choose an easy subject matter in this area LOL

Jay

# 182 03-09-2011 , 05:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
nice! looks real good so far. Sorry might have missed if you said this earlier, but will the hair be rendered with a higher LOD? right now it looks like quite angular on the right hand side.

# 183 03-09-2011 , 07:48 PM
Tweaky, Tweaky,Tweaky,Tweaky,Tweaky,Tweaky,Tweaky,Tweaky,T weaky,

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 184 03-09-2011 , 07:49 PM
Thanks Dom

Well I'll see what the PC can handle LOL.

J

# 185 06-09-2011 , 03:52 PM
This is looking really cool Jay. I think you've captured here fragile features well.

Dave, displacement maps are used extensively in production for both character and non-character models (more so than normal maps which are more used in games). Interesting point that you make Jay about the use of displacement maps in Avatar (or rather what they were not used for), it would be interesting to know in other cases how facial expressions are handled in regards to displacement maps - frowns and facial creases changing for example.

# 186 06-09-2011 , 06:50 PM
Thank Gubar, jeez mate its been a while.

For facial stuff its a mix, personally I have used both, but the displacement were used more for just detailing and not the facial expressions themselves. Uts all swings and roundabouts, if you can do the detail in the geo the payoff is better anyway.

anyway have an update, its coming to a close now, tweaking the lighting, as this is the setup I want, just got a few bits to do on the mesh, and also adjust the camera depth of field and then I'll bash out a big render

J

Attached Thumbnails
# 187 06-09-2011 , 07:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Great work Jay ...who would have thought you would be such a romantic user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 188 06-09-2011 , 07:36 PM
The thin red line
Lovely work, the best Ive seen on here, thanks gubar for clearing that up are the displacements fine detail or low poly to high............dave

# 189 06-09-2011 , 08:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Hey Jsprogg......good to have you back mate. I am such a softy really LOL

cheers
Jay

# 190 06-09-2011 , 08:28 PM
EduSciVis-er
Gorgeous... I was going to comment from the previous render that it would be very hard to darken the eyelashes without even touching the eyelids (not that I know anything about makeup), but I see you addressed that with this last render.

# 191 06-09-2011 , 08:39 PM
Hey Stwert

Thank you.

I just added more thickness to the lash hairs and also added extra hairs to the clumps just to bring them out

thanks dude
Jay

# 192 07-09-2011 , 02:08 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Really great work J but that hair is really putting me off maybe its the lack of variations....

# 193 07-09-2011 , 02:25 AM
Fantastic Job mate

# 194 07-09-2011 , 06:59 AM
Great work Jay, looks awesome!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 195 07-09-2011 , 05:52 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Very nice! The eyes are great!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"