Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-10-2003 , 10:25 AM

Need help with a couple of small issues...

Hi, got a couple of things i can't figure out...maybe some one here can shead some light on them.

firstly, i'm rendering with mental ray because i like mental ray area lights and i think it's motion blur is better quality, but glows don't seem to work anymore...any idea why this is?

the glows work perfectly and look great when rendered with maya software, but there's no glow there at all with mental ray.

secondly, i've got a background image on my render camera, and i can't for the life of me work out how to make it NOT render...i've tried using render layers, setting the camera's visibility to off somewhere else in it's attributes, no effect.

any way to sort this out?

thanks a lot if anyone could give me a hand...

I consist of mostly water.
# 2 10-10-2003 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
since glows are post rendered MR will not suppot it. This is why fur, PFX (unless converted to Poly's) will not work. You can use MR custom shaders to recreated the glow effect. Using MR contour shader should work.

# 3 10-10-2003 , 04:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
You could also render the glow, paintfx, etc as another pass and composite.

# 4 10-10-2003 , 05:54 PM
hmm ok..

thanks for the help.

i think rendering in passes is a good idea in most cases of anything for best quality and control etc...but i'm trying to be lazy while i test lighting/textures etc... in my scene.
this is for a compositing project so at the end of the day i'll definitely do as you suggest.

roach: sounds interesting but also like a bit of a distraction what what i need to worry about (got enough to learn as is)...thanks for the suggestion though and i'll keep it in mind.

got the background image thing sorted too.

I consist of mostly water.