Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-01-2006 , 04:19 AM

Problems with High Res Texture Baking

Hey guys,

I've run into a pretty annoying problem when trying to bake some lighting onto part of a model. Using Maya 6.5 and software rendering with a dome lighting setup.

The Convert to File Texture option isn't allowing me to output any textures over 1024x1024. That wouldn't be a problem, but the baked textures have highly visible seams when on the model, because it's painting inside of the UV's and not extending beyond them (Fill Seams is turned on). It should be noted that this part of the model uses a pretty small part of the UV space, since the rest is pretty full.

I was hoping to render the texture in higher res to make fixing that by hand easier, but when I click Convert nothing happens. Anybody know a work-around for this? Or even a way to make the baking extend beyond the UV's by a few pixels?

Thanks for any help user added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 2 14-01-2006 , 12:03 AM
If anybody is interested, I found a work-around for making it higher resolution while searching online.

Do the texture baking in "tiles", so you end up with 4 textures that are each 1024x1024 and piece together to make one large 2048x2048. This is done by setting the UV boundaries of the baking.

Still dont' have a solution for making the baking extend beyond the UVs, though:headbang:

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 14-01-2006 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by f50

Still dont' have a solution for making the baking extend beyond the UVs, though:headbang:

just use mental ray.

or bake in maya software with high sampling and resize higher in PS